Author Topic: Crocus Saffron email offer  (Read 3304 times)

Linnea

• Quarter Acre
Re: Crocus Saffron email offer
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 16:57:35 »
it works but £4.95 postage!  :o

Stopp

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 21:06:30 »
10% discount if you add the code GW11 in the box
Sharon T

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 23:39:14 »
Offer ended now but you save a fiver over normal price if you order 60 bulbs.... Me and a mate are splitting a batch, it's still not bad value for Saffron Crocuses.... I'm going to try and arrange a planter in the front garden for them...

chrisc

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 00:52:16 »
I reckon you'd need a full sized allotment plot to provide a jar full of saffron.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:43:38 »
Jar full?..I think just teaspoon full is more than plenty for average household. I buy one little 'box' every other year and there is only few strands in it.. ::)
Mine were planted couple of months ago so now I'm waiting in anticipation what will turn up...instructions said the flowers should emerge next month...and if each bulb deliver strand or two... ;D..out of 30 bulbs I've got next 5 yrs supply sorted.. ;D ;D
One can live in hope.. ::)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:12:49 »
Just got mine from ebay, 10 of them. I've planted them in 2 small troughs,they're in the poly ,trying to keep the soon to be emerging shoots away from the massive slugs we now have  ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 10:16:43 »
A jar full of saffron?  If you buy some you can hardly see it. :o  A jar full would be worth a small fortune.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 11:13:03 »
A jar full of saffron?  If you buy some you can hardly see it. :o  A jar full would be worth a small fortune.

A very small jar  ;D

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 11:47:28 »
Jackie

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 16:22:38 »

A very small jar  ;D

Here you go!!!!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_OB_wtB-Oecw/TOgwHLLxRlI/AAAAAAAAA1U/GasW7ZhePUo/s1600/How+to+Make+a+Jar+of+Jelly+for+Miniature+Dollhouse+by+Garden+of+Imagination.JPG

Hey... that's the size I was on about!  ;D  ;D  :)  ;)

Seriously... I'm a little sceptical about buying saffron crocus as they are expensive and the chance of actually harvesting a useful crops is not guaranteed.  :(

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 22:13:55 »
OHHHH...I've had a little 'dig' into my saffron planter.. ;D ;D..they are coming through..another couple of days and first growth should be pushing through... ;D
Code: [Select]
chance of actually harvesting a useful crops is not guaranteed...isn't that same with everything we grow..?
Saffron used to be viable commercial crop in UK..so it should be ok. But, if in any doubt..planted in large tubs should ensure a crop as if bad weather should close in during flowering time, tubs can be lifted under cover.
I'm sure main reason for saffron to fail and people loosing their bulbs is that they are not giving them enough drainage..they don't want pampering with multipurpose compost..soil based compost with loads and loads of grit will suit them best.
I planted mine into JI no2 compost and grit mixture...1/3 of the volume is grit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal