Author Topic: Meconopsis  (Read 4351 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Meconopsis
« on: May 04, 2011, 18:56:50 »
Last year I made yet another attempt to get this stuff to germinate. Today I spotted two tiny seedlings, one with a seed coat still attached so there's not much doubt what it is. At last! The key seems to be fresh seed and winter chilling.

jjt

• Half Acre
Re: Meconopsis
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 23:02:04 »
I've tried a few times myself; once I think I succeeded only for them to die off shortly after.  So take care of them.  Where have you had the pot/tray?  Same place all the time?  And was it bought seed, or stuff you collected?  If you don't mind me asking.   Thanks.  It's funny how different people can get different things to grow.  I talked to someone recently who moaned they could never grow cowslips, while primroses were easy. For me it has always been exactly the opposite.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 17:20:30 »
It was seed from a swap, which I planted early in the winter, and just left out in the pot. They're now in a mini-greenhouse being mollycoddled.

Cowslips thrive on my plot, but it dries out too much in summer for other primulas.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 06:26:18 »
Still in the fridge at the moment and I await the first signs of growth from the seed. :-[

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 20:08:06 »
Mine were outside most of the winter, and warmed up naturally. If they've been in the fridge, in soil, for a while it's probably time to get them out.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 20:02:10 »
Robert,
Out the fridge and in the frame for a while until they show or fail again.
We shall just have to wait and see on this one.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 09:41:23 »
Been having a think about this. We grow loads at work & I'm sure we just chuck the seed in & then leave em to get on with it. We haven't got a fridge at work & we don't tend to have time to molly coddle stuff like this.  :-\

Might have to get the boss to refresh my memory. Sure we usually just dry the seed heads for a couple of days then shake the seeds out & sow them on fresh compost. Cover I think with vermiculite & then leave them in the prop house, which is just a cold greenhouse, & then just keep em moist. They do take a little while, but I'm sure it's not normally this complicated. Maybe my boss just has a way with them  ::)

I do remember they're quite prone to damping off if you're not careful & once you get to pricking out be careful not to plant them too deep.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 12:23:33 »
I think the key is to have fresh seed. I can imagine that it might come up like cress if you gatehr your own.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 21:12:04 »
I have always sown them as soon as they are ripen and dry, them germinate very easy from fresh seed but are useless from packet seed .

Been having a think about this. We grow loads at work & I'm sure we just chuck the seed in & then leave em to get on with it. We haven't got a fridge at work & we don't tend to have time to molly coddle stuff like this.  :-\

Might have to get the boss to refresh my memory. Sure we usually just dry the seed heads for a couple of days then shake the seeds out & sow them on fresh compost. Cover I think with vermiculite & then leave them in the prop house, which is just a cold greenhouse, & then just keep em moist. They do take a little while, but I'm sure it's not normally this complicated. Maybe my boss just has a way with them  ::)

I do remember they're quite prone to damping off if you're not careful & once you get to pricking out be careful not to plant them too deep.

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 09:20:07 »
Shame I'm not going back to work. I could make a fortune sending you all fresh seed  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 20:58:57 »
Half a dozen of them up now!

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 19:51:19 »
Shame I'm not going back to work. I could make a fortune sending you all fresh seed  ;D

Is it possible we could buy the seed direct from the place you worked at?

Sue
I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

Mrs Gumboot

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 09:41:04 »
Is it possible we could buy the seed direct from the place you worked at?

Since it's a stately home they don't really do seed sales, although they do sell the plants sometimes, but only from the cafe. They've never really got into the plant sales thing, despite the income it brings in to other places.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 12:01:10 »
Robert, were these the meconopsis betonicifolia seed that I sent you last year?  I sent several lots out and was wondering whether anybody had been successful.

As a matter of interest, my plant is in full bloom at the moment, so there should be plenty of seed ready in another month or so.

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 13:54:55 »
Hello Kepouros :)

You sent me some of you seeds but I was unsuccessful.  :'( I followed your instructions putting them in the fridge for a while then onto a window sill in the kitchen and then sowed a second lot just by putting them in a seed tray in the greenhouse.
** Robert Brenchley would you mind giving more detailed sowing instructions please.
Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 14:42:35 »
Is it just my memory going funny, but wasn't it the case that if you went into a nursery or store and the had a tiny selection of seed packets, like a dozen, they always had Meconopsis betonicifolia? when it's so ****** hard to grow?

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 11:46:08 »

I think its crucial to disinguish the two different types of sowing regime.

Summer sowing of fresh seed doesnt need cold stratification, just sow fresh seed on surface of damp compost and keep damp- they will shoot very quickly.

autumn sowing of mature dormant seed requires cold stratification either outside or in fridge.

By far the easiest is the summer sowing. Nows the time for those garden visits and them comming away in your hand  ;).
My dads are in flower at the moment so might have some fresh seed in a couple of weeks if anyones up for it? PM your address.

x sunloving

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 17:15:27 »
Robert, were these the meconopsis betonicifolia seed that I sent you last year?  I sent several lots out and was wondering whether anybody had been successful.

As a matter of interest, my plant is in full bloom at the moment, so there should be plenty of seed ready in another month or so.

That's right. There are loads up now, but they're slow-growing.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 17:18:57 »
** Robert Brenchley would you mind giving more detailed sowing instructions please.
Duke

I shoved them in the freezer for a while, then planted them in a pot, put 1/8 inch or so of sand on top, and put some more seeds on top for good measure. The pot sat outside all winter. I'd suggest planting some straight off, giving my treatment to some more, and keeping your fingers crossed! They were very slow to germinate, and I'd almost given up hope when the first seedlings appeared.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal