Author Topic: Potatoes for Christmas...  (Read 1696 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
Potatoes for Christmas...
« on: May 24, 2011, 19:02:07 »
...is anyone intending to / or generally grows new potatoes for Christmas, and if so how will you be going about it

I have never wanted them for Christmas day, as I have quite enough to do without going outside and digging potatoes, but I think I would like to put them on the menu for New Year

I know you can buy specially prepared ones now, but the old gardeners had tips and tricks for growing them, and I would like to try one of the old ways if I can

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: Potatoes for Christmas...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 00:38:21 »
We did it last year, try the search. lots of us joined in. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

JimB

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 16:03:24 »
I kept back 6 Red Duke of York from this years seed potatoes and will put 3 in each of 2 bags of multi compost in Aug. Adding compost as they grow and then move the bags into the green house before the first frost hits. Cut the tops off at being of Dec but leave the potatoes in the bags untill needed. Don't get a alot but they taste great. I wouldn't try to grow them in the ground.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 19:18:42 »
Last year, we all arranged to plant on the same day and kept the thread going as a progress post.

Is anyone game fior it this year

I will

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 19:48:00 »
I always ry a few spuds for xmas got wiped out last year due to the November snow.
I would be up to it Jeannine but because of my location in the North East i cant set them away at the same time as others.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 20:15:05 »
I kept back 6 Red Duke of York from this years seed potatoes and will put 3 in each of 2 bags of multi compost in Aug. Adding compost as they grow and then move the bags into the green house before the first frost hits. Cut the tops off at being of Dec but leave the potatoes in the bags untill needed. Don't get a alot but they taste great. I wouldn't try to grow them in the ground.

That is what I am thinking of doing, and after some googling it looks like the last day of August is the best time for planting.  I was going to do it last year but my seed spuds got a massive attack of aphids.  Any thoughts on stopping / coping with that this year.  I had read its best to keep them somewhere warm before planting.  I have just bought some Vales Emerald from T &M on their free postage offer, thanks to this forum

Also Jeannine - looked through the thread, though it made pretty off putting reading, but I would be willing to give it a try this year.

All the best
Sue

I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 20:24:17 »
Last year, we all arranged to plant on the same day and kept the thread going as a progress post.

Is anyone game fior it this year

I will

XX Jeannine

I would like to join in please will you let me know when to plant please

X Chas

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 12:50:17 »
I have some Charlottes I'm going to grow in bags. I plan to plant most of these mid to end of June. If they survive the gauntlet of blight then I’ll leave them in situ until needed either boxing day or New years. I can store the bags in a shed which will hopefully be frost free. But as a comparison and for fun, I’ll keep a couple of tubers spare for the challenge, as I did manage to find some lovely little potatoes from last years challenge when I remembered about them in January!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 11:19:41 »
My Charlottes are going in tubs on Canada Day July 1st.

XX Jeannine

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 17:05:52 »
I'll join you if I may and plant a few to mark the day. I wonder how similar progress will be given our different locations? 
Will this be your date for Christmas pots, or do you have another date in mind?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 18:47:03 »
I think that is the only date I shall plant.Last year it was a disater as I tried to do it on the north facing balcony but this year I have the greenhouse. I will plant in pots outside then bring them in when the weather gets cold.

On second thoughts, I may plant something else in |Aug too just foir interest,, Aug 10th my borthday then I won't forget.

I aim for a good harvest this year, I have 3 times the Cahrlottes I had lasy year LOL

XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal