Author Topic: Chesterfield potato day  (Read 2960 times)

pumkinlover

Chesterfield potato day
« on: January 29, 2011, 14:59:47 »
Our local potato was a great success today.
Sold out except for a few shoe boxes of the heritage varieties.
We have a good relationship with our council and the day was opened by the mayor, with council leader, deputy mayor and several councillors some of whom were helping out.
I was too busy to take photos during the busiest period, and the shop we had was packed.
As an estimate I reckon we had about 1000 people through the door which is good for a small town, but some people had come quite a distance!
 :) :) :)

pumkinlover

Re: Chesterfield potato day
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 19:18:02 »
oops  I followed Saddads lead and put this in Kept animals- no idea how to move it?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 22:13:46 »
Cracking photos, looks like everyone had a good day. What was in the big saucepans?

oops  I followed Saddads lead and put this in Kept animals- no idea how to move it?

Sam Louise may be able to help, if not try emailing Dan
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 08:40:30 »
Thanks Jayb.
There was potato and leek soup made with three different varieties of potato and also Champ which was mashed pots. spring onion and parsley.
all free tasters to give away.
Anne x

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 17:35:43 »
There's no place like home! ;)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:43:25 »
 ;D found it

Two of my favorites, Potato and leek soup and Champ Yummmmmmm  ;D
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

ripley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 11:19:57 »
we attended the potato day with a car full from Sheffield.

I bought Swifts, Salad Blue, Maris Piper and Pink Fir. Not sure what the family thought about blue potatoes?

We had a really nice morning with my niece choosing hers selection for the allotment. She is 7yrs old and loves digging for her tea! A really good day and thanks to everyone involved.

Ripley

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:03:47 »
thanks to SamLouise for moving the post, and for kind comments.
 Glad you enjoyed it Ripley, I was at the door trying to meet and greet, did you find it ok? I passed a few comments on to the organisers about people saying they couldn't find ok. But otherwise it went well.
Anne x

ripley

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 18:41:34 »
We did find it hard to find- I think we walked past it three times- thinking it would be on a market stall not a shop.
It was busy but great to see so much interest.

I nearly asked if anyone knew you but there were so many people I thought don't be a fool.

Some of the courses that were advertised sounded great. There are so many things I would like to learn to do.

Ripley x x  ;D

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 18:54:34 »
Is there a link for those courses mentioned?

We came up last year [took ages to find it as well] but as I was working at Ryton Potato Day couldn't be there this year.

pumkinlover

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 20:03:48 »
http://www.transitionchesterfield.org.uk/

These are the folks who organize the day, so I think what you mean will come up on their website-if not let me know as I have put my name down for info. to be sent to me.
I've only been involved up to now because one of someone on my site, but do like the look of a lot of what they do. Time though.... when????!

I think they only get an empty shop for the day because of council support- I suspect that when the leaflet was printed they may not know for sure which shop. But if people are coming from farther afield.... they need more info. before they come.

By the way if you ask anyone in Chesterfield where a street in town is you'll be lucky if they know- they seem to navigate by shops and pubs round here!!! ;) ;) ;)

(This is where I find out if there's anyone else from Chesterfield on this forum!)

KingofDerby

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 13:01:05 »
Oh darn it! I work in Chesterfield! Did not know it was on...Is there a listing of when these potato days are in and around Derby and Chesterfield!

aj

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 18:20:00 »
Oh darn it! I work in Chesterfield! Did not know it was on...Is there a listing of when these potato days are in and around Derby and Chesterfield!

See the website....the potato day is once a year I am afraid!

My chum is also involved with this, but having to work at Ryton took priority or we would have gone.

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 22:13:53 »
I'll try and "advertise" it on here next year- but will check with moderators first as don't want to be cheeky!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal