Author Topic: How many?  (Read 2642 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
How many?
« on: June 15, 2010, 06:59:17 »
How many tomatoes should be grown in an 8' x 6' greenhouse please? I also have a cucumber & some chillis in there.

Gillysdad

• Half Acre
  • Gateshead.
Re: How many?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 09:59:13 »
I doubt if there is any hard and fast rule to this. Folks usually grow as many as they can get in.....then wish they hadn't  :).
If you grow them in buckets and support with a cane, you can move them around  (and out) when you can't get moved.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 13:43:55 »
I have had as many as 18 but this year I am going to 13 se here;

The top picture is tomatoes the bottom are peppers.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 13:50:31 »
nice - is that gray drainage pipe you have planted into?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 19:47:34 »
Loads of room...you could have squeezed some more peppers between toms and glass.. ;D ;) ::)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 20:06:10 »
They will be in the black buckets & I've got some peppers & a cucumber. I've got the 2 tier staging  that I think if you take the trays out the toms grow through it but that is only 4 down one side. Soooooo where do I put the staging while the toms are growing. Polite answers only please ;).

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 21:20:33 »
Ok..you could easily squeeze 10 cordon toms..thats 5 each side and cumber at the end where it has highest room to stretch out and train it under the apex..and then put some peppers where ever room..
could you put the trays under the buckets for time being..?or stand it on their side against the glass..or,,peppers don't like they roots hot and in black buckets they tends to have most of the root in shady side of the pots..if you were to lean those trays against the pepper pots on the sunny side, you peppers would utilize whole of the growing area... ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 21:27:28 »
Goodness gracious TeeGee you have enough space there for at least twice the number  of tomatoes and a whole catalogue of other things besides. ;D ;D

small

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 22:08:06 »
I've got 2 foot deep staging at one end with 6 each of peppers and aubergines, and then 6 toms down each side.  It's far too full and the greenfly are a nightmare this year. Ideally I would grow just the toms without the staging but my eyes were bigger than my stomach, as it were..........

lottiedolly

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 13:14:29 »
Deep breath!!!

Okay, i have a 6'x6' greenhouse, i have racking down one side which holds trays, when it tomato time i use the frame of the racking to support them. In my greenhouse i have 20 toms 8 peppers, 6 chillies, 4 cues and 6 aubs.

I defy anyone to say i have a problem, as far as i am concerned, being able to access inside the greenhouse is highly overated  :D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 13:36:38 »
Code: [Select]
I defy anyone to say i have a problem, as far as i am concerned, being able to access inside the greenhouse is highly overated 
Yeah..no problems.. ;D ;D..if you do need to have some sort of access..just take few panes of glass off and do it from outside... ::)..anyway..all that lot inside you will need good ventilation.. ;D ;)..the secret is a adequate air movement.. ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 17:42:20 »
is that gray drainage pipe you have planted into?

Yes.

It was a pinkish colour when I first got them 20+years ago.

They have now faded to the colour you see.

Goodness gracious TeeGee you have enough space there for at least twice the number  of tomatoes and a whole catalogue of other things besides.

;D Yes I agree  ;D

But because I have a couple of more greenhouses and a section of the communal tunnel I can afford to spread them out a bit. :)

The reason I have changed this year is; peppers need room to spread rather than the need for height (like Toms & Cucs) so I allowed a bit more width per plant.

When I grow Toms & Cucs I go for 18 plants

In theory I am going for quality rather than quantity.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 20:42:26 »
I use double rows of growbags and raised pots on top of them and grow three tomato plants to a bag. This year I have 36 plants that cover two sides of my 12x8 home greenhouse, plus three sections of staging for peppers, chillies and other bit and bobs like ocra and melons. Cucumber are using the frame of a mini greenhouse to climb through! As you can see, I go for the 'cram in as much as possible' approach..... ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal