Author Topic: Brassica plug plants?  (Read 1823 times)

lewic

• Hectare
Brassica plug plants?
« on: September 29, 2009, 19:44:18 »
I have just put up a 2.5m x 2.5m brassica cage, and need some more brassicas! Have a row of red cabbages and a row of purple sprouting, but the rest of it is bare, as the potatoes have only just come out.

Does anyone know anywhere within driving distance of Bristol where I could still buy brassica plants? Perhaps more purple sprouting and red cabbage, the pointy green cabbages, or cavalo nero kale? Not too fussy, its just looking rather empty at the mo!

The small local garden centre had some cabbages 3 weeks ago and I didnt buy them as the cage wasnt ready.. and now they are all gone. None of the bigger ones nearby have any veg.

Tried growing from seed earlier in the year and they didnt like being in my plastic greenhouse. And assume it is too late for this now anyhow!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Brassica plug plants?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 19:46:49 »
this is a site someone put on here
http://www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk/

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 20:05:49 »
There's also plantsbypost. The postage is cheaper there. Sorry, can't do links.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 20:13:04 »
If you want organic there is http://www.organicplants.co.uk/acatalog/Winter_Vegetables_October.html.
One of my neighbours on the allotments had some spring cabbage from Homebase which looked OK.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 12:13:46 »
I would not be too optimistic about what you can grow unprotected outdoors at this time of the year. Last year I ordered 100 brassica plants from one of the sites mentioned above in september - only a handfull survived the winter! Very expensive spring cabbages :(

Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 13:28:42 »
I thought brassicas were supposed to winter hardy? Or is it only some types?

Am suspicious of buying plants online as our post is unreliable and the plants would probably end spending another week at the central post office!

naff

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 13:37:20 »
Hello all,
                 I have autumn/winter/spring cropping brassicas which were planted two weeks ago and are
                 all doing well outside.I,ve also planted some in 10ltr pots for growing on in the greenhouses
                 and again they are doing very well.I,bought from both Marshalls and Veg plants direct, both
                 supplied good plants.
                                                           Naff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal