Author Topic: Kalibos cabbage  (Read 3087 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Kalibos cabbage
« on: October 16, 2009, 16:15:24 »
anyone grew this?
this is the size of it, how long does it stand in the ground for, will it be ok for Christmas?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Kalibos cabbage
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 17:08:33 »
We do... they don't stand well once cut.. compared with drumheads so I'd be tempted to leave it "out" as long as possible  :-\

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 17:08:57 »
I've grown it before - supposed to be an autumn cutting one but if you have plenty to spare why not experiment to see how the bad weather treats it

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 17:22:16 »
I grew these a couple of years ago but was disappointed as they weren't very dense and I use them for pickling and coleslaw so need to shred them
sanity is overated

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 17:40:33 »
I've grown it before - supposed to be an autumn cutting one but if you have plenty to spare why not experiment to see how the bad weather treats it
only got the one left , will leave it a while :)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 17:49:13 »
I have some tiny plants still growing ... sown very late ... I'm hoping to get them through to Christmas ... might have to fleece them! 

Do you like the flavour ?? We do !!  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 18:58:48 »
I can't tell how big yours is, but I am growing them and sadly only one has hearted up solidly...I have clubroot on this allotment and am going to grow them differently next year.

My experience with red cabbage is that they do stand the winter, but this is a new sort to me. I'll probably eat it in a month or so.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 19:39:52 »
we love it, flo..either raw or cooked,
artichoke, I started them off in pots until they were about 6-8" tall before I planted them up as we have slugs that like red cabbages, too , still only got 3 out of 6 but we grew red cap, too, they don't grow as big and are quicker growing  :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 13:50:29 »
Thanks, that is similar to the advice I have been given by the cabbage experts on my site - to grow them in pots, then plant them out with lime. I haven't done cabbagey things much, so I'm willing to have another go.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal