Author Topic: strawberrys from seed?  (Read 1379 times)

johnny

• Not So New ...
strawberrys from seed?
« on: July 28, 2009, 23:44:15 »
hi was just wondering whether anyone has done this at all? strawberry plants seem expensive to buy in the shop £8.99 for 2 plants at my local garden centre!!! i have planted 8 seeds straight out into pots in my little greenhouse just to see if they would germinate. i dont know what the "breed" of strawberries was i bought them from tescos.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5124334_germinate-strawberry-seeds.html

also is this true? would save a lot of space due to poor germination levels...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4541746_tell-seeds-will-germinate.html

ta johnny

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
Re: strawberrys from seed?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:28:38 »
Yes i have grown Strawberrys from seed.I think they were the alpine ones.It's quite a while since and the memory isnt what it used to be.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:33:21 »
I have tried strawberries from seed, but unfortunately wasn't successful. I tried sowing Sarian, but they didn't germinate, and also Sweet Temptation, which germinated OK, but unfortunately tasted horrid - very bitter with lots of pips. BUT this is only my experience, so I would be interested to hear how you get on. I did see some yellow strawberry seeds on eBay, but didn't follow it up.
Kitty Katt

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:09:51 »
Don't you know of anyone who has strawberry plants who would let you root a few runners.

On our allotments we allow this in fact only a couple of weeks ago I was approached to see if I would allow this and I had no objections.

Beats just cutting off the runners and indeed plantlets if someone wants them.

Its how I started many many years ago..........runners came through from my neighbours garden so I secured them.

All you have to ensure is the plants you are rooting from are not virused/diseased in any way.

Check around would be my advice!

banshee

• Half Acre
  • Watched over by Nya
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:25:21 »
I am growing 'Golden Alexandria' (I think that is the right name) and 'Migonette' both from seed this year. I currently have 18 GA seedlings and about 20 Migonette seedlings that have just come through. All the GA seedlings have been potted on and have between 4 and 6 small leaves so far. I don't put them in the fridge or freezer, I just sprinkle the seeds on top of the moist compost and then seal in a poly bag. As the seeds germinate, I gradually open the bag until I can remove it completely after a few days, this reduces shock to the seedlings as the humidity reduces slowly. Hope this helps.
Little garden plot, tended by faeiries, eaten by snails............

johnny

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:52:14 »
unfortunatly i have no one i know growing them... is it true that after their 3 year of fruiting the plants are "past their best"? i have read this somewhere i think but can not find the artical again. please could someone correct me, i would love to have a good set of plants but i am an inpatient sod......

MrBean

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 17:34:58 »
i am an inpatient sod......

In that case, Tesco   ;D

labrat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 18:35:59 »
I've sown Sarian and Florian from seed last year in a heated propagator. I got 30 plants in total - Sarian had the worse germination. Kept in pots last year and over winter and planted out this spring. Bulked up very nicely and are now in full flower. But I'm not really expecting a good crop until next year - so the third growing season (about 2 years).

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 19:26:43 »
I grew Florian from seed this year. Sowed the seed in February in cells in a propagator, good germination, placed on window sill, then to cool greenhouse in April. Potted on and placed outside, still in their pots. Flowering and fruiting now and will probably increase into the Autumn( perpetual flowering). They taste very sweet.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

amphibian

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 22:52:29 »
I think strawberries are like potatoes, in that the seed taken from a fruit will not breed true. With plants propagated through cloning no effort is made to stabalise the variety as it is unnecessary.

Effectively if the variety has not been stabalised then each seed will produce different results and represent a new cultivar. Fun and possibly you may see very desirable results which you can then maintain through rooting runners, and bingo you have bred your own variety.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal