Author Topic: Quiet soon to be shattered  (Read 3415 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Quiet soon to be shattered
« on: July 04, 2009, 08:09:43 »
I have a lovely position between two nature reserves.  But next week the peace and tranquillity will be shattered.  In two weeks time is the International Air Tatoo and we will have over two hyndred aircraft buzzing around.

The Red Arrows will come in the back door and go out the front, followed by the Italians and the Swiss.  Not only do they do this twice for the actual event but there a two other days and a practice.  So it is impossible to hang any washing out for most of the week.  In all 95 British, 18 American and 86 others.

The static displayed started arriving days in advance and many of the aircraft do a circuit and bump, and I have the feeling they have a competition going as to who can go the lowest before they take off again.

And then there is the traffic.  For two days we are unable to get in or out.  That goes from 6 in the morning to 12 at night, though we do get a couple of hours break in the middle of the afternoon.  Will have to get my bicycle dusted off.  No possibility of driving to the allotment, it would take hours.

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
Re: Quiet soon to be shattered
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 08:35:16 »
"So it is impossible to hang any washing out for most of the week"

Wow, those planes must be flying low ;)

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 08:44:25 »
RAF Waddington I presume?, my next door neighbour left at 0630 to go there any chance of getting him bombed, ;)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 09:40:44 »
Ah well, you'll appreciate the quiet when they are gone! :D

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 09:42:26 »
I'd love it! Will there be Spitfires?
Jackie

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 10:06:16 »
Ower Tone would love that. When he were a lad he used to work aircraft. Tiger moths I think. I wouldn't worry if I lived in a beautful location as you do. Its only inconvenient for a week with all the prep and that. Why don't you go on holiday while the tattoo is on.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

BrianK

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 11:23:37 »
I would love it too.  We live on a high traffic route for jey fighters, attack choppers and all manner of flying parethenalia.

The sight and sound thrillsmy children and makes me wonder what it must be like to pilot such incredible machines.

Sorry  but above all else I am jealous you have such a chance of a free show for so long.

:o

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 13:57:39 »
I hate every minute of it.

The problem of the washing is the colour they use for the displays.  When you see the Red Arrows filling the sky with red, white and blue, then someone might be getting red white and blue washing.  It does wash off but is most annoying to have to do it all twice.  And the italian version is a bit more persistant. 

Actually we see very little of it.  We just hear it.  They come past so fast there is little to see by the time you look its gone.  Also it reflects of the other houses so it is probably in the opposite direction from the noise.  It is the sudden loud noise that gets me going.  I end up shaking like a leaf.

Actually RAF Fairford.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 14:01:39 »
One of my sons is going with some friends, taking tents and camping.  We love air shows, though I can understand the problems of living close by.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 14:17:01 »
Digeroo although I'm a lifelong aviation enthusiast I do sympathise.
I rarely go to airshows nowadays, but if I do it tends to be to smaller, and somewhat quieter, ones.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 15:04:49 »
Dunsfold is our family and friends day out  :) :) :)
The Tuscan Beaneater

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 21:08:48 »
perhaps you could spare a thought for all  those folk who's peace is shattered daily by aircraft, (palestine, afghanistan, iraq, etc etc ) ;) at least yours is only for 4 days per year, and they ain't bombing or shooting at you!! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 21:40:02 »
I have every sympathy with them.  When NATO were bombing Kosovo they took off every night at about 10 pm and came back all night.  Went on for months.  It was not only the noise that was upsetting but the thought of where they were going and what they were doing.

The air show is all military airplanes, that does not please me at all, the whole point of it is to sell war machines, the tatoo is a cover.

BrianK

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 21:56:00 »
I live in rural norfolk.  Every autumn we get maybe 20 tractors DAILY past our house. Most towing trailers of Hay, spuds, sugar beet.  It's all relative.

And no I didn't choose where I live.  It's social housing.  But as previously mentioned I am happy with my lot.  No one snipes at me wheile I walk to the water well to carry back the foul disease ridden smelly water to my slum home.

I sympathise that often local events affect our daily lives in a detrimental way but I always look at the positive side.  In my nature.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal