Author Topic: What can I grow along side my raspberries  (Read 1208 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
What can I grow along side my raspberries
« on: June 27, 2009, 22:23:27 »
I'm still clearing the plot I got a few months back.  Thankfully, among all the weeds/brambles and other unlovelies, there's a number of raspberry bushes spread out over an area of about 10'x5' - and picked my first kilo today.  Once I've cleared the weeds etc., can I plant some other berries in amongst them (maybe gooseberries or...?) - otherwise it will be quite a large area with not much going on.  Thanks for your ideas.

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: What can I grow along side my raspberries
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 22:38:47 »
Yes, gooseberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants etc will all grow there.  Are your raspberries summer or autumn fruiting?  Sounds a silly question but if they weren't cut back earlier in the year they could be either.

Enjoy your fruit.

T.

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 00:09:10 »
We grow all our bush fruit together then its easier to build a cage around them to protect from the birds!

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 09:12:14 »
Thanks for the replies.  T - they are summer fruiting.  I think I've got to prune almost to ground level after they've fruited and then dig in some compost...does that sound right?

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 20:58:47 »
Makes a great spotfor spring bulbs.
I plant mine with daffodils and anemones which are long over before the raspberry leaves come out.
consider that they die back in nov and dont sprout until april so you have a blank canvas ix sunloving

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 21:08:06 »
Someone on our site plants tulips amongst his raspberries. They look really lovely.

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 08:53:56 »
Hey Sunloving and Grannyjanny - great idea... as a novice I guess I can get a bit obsessive about growing only veg.

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 15:27:07 »
Ive planted red onions (and b beans) in amongst my fruit bushes as it seems to keep away the bugs and they are a quick crop.
I have 'clean' b beans and fruit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal