Author Topic: Clematis  (Read 1437 times)

lewic

• Hectare
Clematis
« on: April 28, 2009, 20:30:30 »
I have a couple of small clematis plants from Wilko, they are Multi-Blue.

Planted them a couple of months ago in a mostly sunny spot and have made sure their roots are in shade.

They are about a foot high, and havent grown that much.

Was in B&Q at the weekend and saw some of the same type that were twice the size and had loads of huge flowers on them, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong? Or do they only have big flowers in their second year?

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Clematis
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 20:39:47 »
If they were small plants they are probably busy making roots. Multi blue is lovely isn't it & a bonus with flowering twice.
Janet

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 20:42:05 »
The ones in B&Q have probably been force fed and protected to get maximum growth so that they seel immediately. Yours are more likely to be growing as they should. They do not always flower in their first year, especially from small plants as sold by Wilkos etc. If they are not growing you could give them a feed with something like Maxicrop or Miraclegrow as a boost.
Gardening is the great leveller.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 20:12:23 »
Thanks, I thought that might be the case. I've got some organic Miracle gro, so will start feeding them more.

Was stunned at how beautiful these flowers were when I saw them, they were huge. Have been googling Clematis ever since! On my shopping list is one called Kacper which is a gorgeous purple and has 7-9" flowers. Might even be worth giving up a row of beans for..

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal