Author Topic: Lily question  (Read 1392 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Lily question
« on: April 19, 2009, 19:46:58 »
I was given a lovely lily for my 50th birthday last year- can't remember the variety but similar to those in the pics posted by Georgie last summer (if that helps!). It died right backandIleft the pot outside over winter but I've npoticed this week that there are four strong shoots growing. However,they are all growing right next to the edge of the pot,two on each side.So my question is,should I pot it on toa bigger pot, or is it too late now?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Lily question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 20:01:48 »
my question is,should I pot it on to a bigger pot, or is it too late now?

What size of pot is it in?

No it is not too late to repot providing you do it carefully i.e. do not disturb the root ball or break the roots.

The best way to do this is put a pot of the size your lily is in now into a larger pot. Pack compost around it then remove it.

This should create a hole of the right size to receive the rootball when you move your lily from its current pot.

On completion of this task give the new pot a good soaking and all should be well.

At the end of this season remove the bulbs from the pot and divide them if necessary and plant them immediately. In this way you will be ready for next years flowers.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 21:20:03 »
I can't grow them in the open ground on my plot, but I have Lilium Regale growing happily in an old sink. They probably need splitting up as they've been there for a few years, but if you can get hold of a container around that size it would probably be ideal for them as they could build up into a clump there.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:31:14 »
try this link was bored and wanted somthing to do http://www.british-wild-flowers.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal