Author Topic: Dewpoint propagation cabinet  (Read 7533 times)

chickadoodle

• Quarter Acre
  • Holder of the national collection of weeds!!
Dewpoint propagation cabinet
« on: April 02, 2009, 22:38:53 »
Does anyone have any experience of this propagation cabinet please.

http://www.twowests.co.uk/TwoWestsSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=DPMK2

With a lot of plant propagation to do I was wondering if any of you have one of these or know anything about them.  Your input would be appreciated. Thanks

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: Dewpoint propagation cabinet
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:38:40 »
I'm sorry i have no experience with heated propagators but was thinking wouldn't it be cheaper to acquire an aluminum coldframe and lay a thermostat controlled heating mat on the bottom which you can then rest your trays on. i suppose you could always build a stand for it so that its at a comfortable work height.

a coldframe such as this is what i was thinking about:

http://www.gardensupplydirect.co.uk/greenhouses_and_cold_frames/aluminium_cold_frame/13058_p.html

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:55:21 »
Chap who invented them lives next door to B-in-L in Cumbria.  Very clever stuff!!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:18:43 »
Think you'd have to be a really serious gardener (or mad ;)) to spend that kind of money on a propagator!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 11:37:47 »
What type of plants are you planning to propagate?

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 11:47:35 »
PS If I had the cash I think I'd get one or two of these instead

Double Vitapod

chickadoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 14:46:11 »
Thank you all for your input.  I think I do fall into both the Serious gardener / mad catagory but not necessarily in that order.

Along with veggies which do well in the prop that I already have, heated but not thermostatically, I do a lot of shrubs and herbaceous.  I belong to Plant Heritage (NCCPG) and although I don't have a national collection I do a lot of propagating of all sorts of unusual stuff.  Sometimes I might only get one go at it and if it fails well then I've lost it for good.  We get things from wild collected seed (official) so no T&M to fall back on !!  It is then pssed around the Country to other groups.  Same goes for the Hardy Plant Society that I also belong to.  

I also have a large garden to fill so bring on all sorts of things to bulk up the existing or get offered new.

The fast throughput of 3 weeks is what impressed me most as well as being able to leave it for a few days unattended.

Tim can I ask if you have ever seen one in action

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 16:39:37 »
Thats a lot of money for something you can make your self for around a third of the price.

Here is a picture of my set up;

To compare;

# Easy weaning - plants rooted in 3 weeks can go straight out.

Thats the same time I root my plants in!

# Dimensions: 48" (122cm) long, 22½" (57cm) wide (room for 6 standard seed trays) by 51" (129cm) high.

Mines is 76" x 33" ( 193 x 84 cm) and takes 16 standard trays. It is at MY waist height. Meaning you could make it any height.

# Maximum electrical usage is approximately 250 watts.

Mines is twice the size in area but uses a similar amount of power (300 watt)

A rough build up of cost is;

Timber say £10

Sand say £5

Cable say £70

Thermostat say £40

Overhead light say £20

= £ 145 for double the heated area.

If I were you I would think about, I did when I started up and I am totally satisfied with what I have!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 18:29:10 »
Yes, TG, small for the money. What advantage?

Can be in - eg - a Garage or Shed - hence the proportionately greater wattage. We could use our Cellar!! And 'automated'.

Yes, Chick - a decade or so ago, & was superficially impressed. But I had long given up my ideas of Market Gardening as a second career, so did not look too deeply. It did seem to major on cuttings.

Picture Framing & 'Fine Art' didn't make much more money!!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 18:32:55 by tim »

Two Choices

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 20:40:08 »
Seems well over the top to me.  I made a heated propogator / bed using 1/2 inch plywood sheeting ( 4 inches deep x 24 inches x 48 inches) lined with polythene. It has a 100w heater cable buried in sharp sand and covered with black plastic.
This gives complete flexibility as in very cold weather I use a bubble wrap cover and then as it warms up I use just the rising heat from the bed.  Currently in use 1900 - 0700 at approx 1p per hour.  Only modification I would make would be to fit a thermostat.
Total cost £30 plus the cost of the heater cable.
Hope this helps  :)

chickadoodle

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 20:50:15 »
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all, family celebrations interupted gardening!!  Another reason for something that could look after itself. 

Very productive looking set up TeeGee.

You have certainly given me a lot to think about and raised some interesting points that I hadn't thought about so thanks for all your input.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 19:57:02 »
AAMOI  -

"The Tubes used in the Dewpoint are a Sylvania 535mm/55w Daylight Deluxe (code 0025689) with a 4650 lumens output. They are a double florescent tube with a four pronged fitting at the end" .

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal