Author Topic: Pea Half Pint  (Read 3585 times)

nippon-neko

• Not So New ...
Pea Half Pint
« on: March 08, 2009, 20:17:39 »
Hello

I sow some peas called Half Pint today.
This is a very dwarf variety and according to some websites it is a very old one too.
I wonder if I can leave them to their maturity and collect seeds?
I have never collected seeds for peas and don't know how true they are going to be.
I can buy them from T&M (being out of stock) or another one.
The package contains only 35 seeds.
Paying P&P only for this pea is not feasible.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Pea Half Pint
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 20:24:39 »
Peas come true... so you can save the seed, except from F1's that these aren't..  :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 20:59:22 »
I don't know if you can save the seeds or not.  But I do know that you won't get many pods per plant from this variety so it will depend on your will power.  ;D

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

jo9919

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 21:12:09 »
I don't know if you can save the seeds or not.  But I do know that you won't get many pods per plant from this variety so it will depend on your will power.  ;D

G x

Thanks for that. I was wondering whether to give this variety a go, as I grow in containers.

I've tried Hestia runner beans before (supposed to be a good variety for containers) but they didn't do as well, even in containers, as 'normal' runner beans.

I usually grow Early Onwards peas in containers and have had really good crops with these, so I think I'll give Half Pint a miss.

Jo.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 09:30:14 »
Yes, I was disappointed with Hestia too.  I am beginning to wonder whether seeds branded as 'ideal for containers' are a bit of a con.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 10:42:15 »

I sow some peas called Half Pint today.

A that name brings back memories.

Does anyone remember when you used to buy peas and beans by the pint? or half pint as the case might be...............or am I getting too old!! ;D

The way I save my peas is this;

When I sow them I put four seeds in a 24 cell tray meaning I need 96 seeds.

If I am saving a short variety that perhaps has around 6 peas in it I save at least 16 pods usually to be on the safe side 20.

With a longer variety I save proportionally less.

Once that job is out of the way we eat the rest of the crop, simple as that !!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 10:57:51 »
I grew some hestia last year by default, about  6 plants in a small window box and under the circumstances thought they did quite well... clearly they weren't going to flodd us out with Runner beans...  :-\

nippon-neko

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 09:21:19 »
Thank you very much for your advice.
I tried Hestia too and their crops were OK to me.
I tend to buy dwarf varieties for containers, some such as French beans are very good. Some peas are also good.
I grow vegetables only for two of us so restricted crops are fine by me.
The only drawback is that container gardening is costly as I need to buy lots of compost.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal