Author Topic: Praying mantis feasting  (Read 1651 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Praying mantis feasting
« on: August 27, 2008, 01:04:28 »
While painting outside I got to watch this praying mantis who blended in so well by holding onto the pointed green seedpods of butterfly weed with his hind legs and nabbed a swallowtail butterfly who came for zinnia nectar.  The mantis' body is at an angle with his head pointing toward the lower left corner of the picture.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Praying mantis feasting
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 11:57:04 »
Love it! I'm off to preying mantis' country in a couple of weeks - the 1st time I saw one I was pruning an overgrown azalea (they gotta lotta azaleas in N.C.!), reached out to the centre of the bush...and became aware that I was being watched ::) It fixed me with its eyes, stretched out an arm and oh-so-delicately nibbled the way up it - got the distinct impression it would nibble me anorl if I didn't b***er off ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 12:24:12 »
Great photo GrannieAnnie

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 13:16:04 »
Love it! I'm off to preying mantis' country in a couple of weeks - the 1st time I saw one I was pruning an overgrown azalea (they gotta lotta azaleas in N.C.!), reached out to the centre of the bush...and became aware that I was being watched ::) It fixed me with its eyes, stretched out an arm and oh-so-delicately nibbled the way up it - got the distinct impression it would nibble me anorl if I didn't b***er off ;D
  Nice time to go to North Carolina when the weather cools a bit. Have a good trip, Alishka.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal