Author Topic: Are You Growing bush-type squash, courgettes VERTICALLY ?  (Read 4827 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Are You Growing bush-type squash, courgettes VERTICALLY ?
« on: September 05, 2008, 00:23:49 »
Have any of you tried training them up a post?
Just read for first time about this, training them gently by
tying every 2 inches at they grow against a post which is said to produce
many more zucchini (courgettes) fruits the whole way up the stalk compared to
squash only produced at the end of the stalk.
AND it doesn't take nearly the "floorspace"that the lounging ones take.
They had a picture which appeared to verify this method.
Does this only apply to courgettes or also other bush squash??
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Are You Growing bush-type squash, courgettes VERTICALLY ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 08:42:21 »
we grew baby boo and jack be little pumpkins up trellises this year, plus some along normally, we got many more from the trailing ones, don't know if it was down to the soil as they were in different beds  :-\

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 09:00:44 »
if you watch the "grow Your Own" episode from the BBC website as mentioned in the "memory of Supersprout" thread, using iPlayer(Idon't know if you can) -in the first few minutes Carol Klein goes through a covered walkway festooned with squash - looks a great idea. Must be more productive, pest/disease free surely? if you can do it

Bean_Queen

• Half Acre
  • growfruitandveg
courgettes VERTICALLY ?
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 09:49:13 »
You can grow any of the trailing types up a trellis.  Here's how to build one: http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/gr_structures_ornaments/article/0,2029,DIY_13859_3894608,00.html

I grow mainly bush-type courgette and squash, as they take up less room than trailers (I can't build supports, I'm hopeless at DIY)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 11:53:21 »
Uchiki Kuri climbs very happily

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 11:57:12 »
This year I have grown Crown Prince - 2 fruits and some newly pollinated baby ones, Butternut - 8 fruits, but late starting so still green, Orange Dawn 3 fruits, Winter Festival 1 fruit. All these have been grown up trellises. I also grew Sweet Dumpling - 4 fruits and Sugar Loaf Delicata 1 fruit,  in pots. Apart from these I let 3 selfseeded plants fruit and have had a total of 12 fruits from them. They look like marrows from their shapes but some are deep orange, others striped green/orange and the others are still changing to a buff colour. I'll post a picture when I have paid my subscription (sorry Dan I forgot it was due!).

Tricia

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 13:39:31 »
I haven't tried this with courgettes yet but did try it with squashes this year.  They seemed to be doing very well before I went on holiday, but when I got back there was one good one and the rest were turning brown and manky.  However, I'm sure this had nothing to do with the way I was growing them and I'll do it again and try it with courgettes too, as it saves space and makes harvesting a bit easier.
Keep Calm and Carry On

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 14:09:53 »
if you watch the "grow Your Own" episode from the BBC website as mentioned in the "memory of Supersprout" thread, using iPlayer(Idon't know if you can) -in the first few minutes Carol Klein goes through a covered walkway festooned with squash - looks a great idea. Must be more productive, pest/disease free surely? if you can do it

I noticed that,it looked wonderful :)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 14:16:33 »
My  long courgettes dont look as if they would climb anything. They are still bushes but the round ones have crept right along the row. Don't know if I will grow the round ones again unless for ornament cos they are so prolific. Have had to put a sign on the end of the plot saying "please help yourselves". I am gonna try the butternut over an arch next year cos they are bloomin dangerous. I'm sure they grab your ankles as you pass by. Like bloomin triffids they are
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 20:30:31 »
Any that set off sprawling along the ground I find will grow vertically too. I just take them a couple of feet up a cane, and then along a horizontal one. Stops overcrowding on the ground, I mean they always set off sprawling in completely the wrong direction don't they?

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 21:49:29 »
Most will grow up if trained, even the big ones if you give them small  a table to rest on.X Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal