Author Topic: What do you use for mites  (Read 2302 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
What do you use for mites
« on: August 31, 2008, 21:57:18 »
in chickens, lots of contradictory advice, some use a special formula, some use stuff like jeyes fluid, how often do you spray it ?
we're getting an average of 14 eggs per day from our 18 chickens, I guess they've settled in well, they're certainly enjoying all the weeds and slugs  ;D

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
Re: What do you use for mites
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 16:39:21 »
I spray Durmamitex (its about £7.50 on ebay) about every 6 weeks - it smells very bad (I wear a mask and goggles) but does the trick. Kills the b*&^&ers on contact and lasts about 6 weeks. A bottle last for about 2 applications (spraying the whole shed).

I beleive its not been made anymore (some EU regulation) but you can still get it from a few sources.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 19:05:28 »
thanks, godfreyrob, I'll have a look at e bay  :)

PHILMT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 21:40:29 »
I have tried loads of different products and had really bad infestation.  i got recommended to a product called 'Get Rid' by gold label. its a powder you sprinkle around after cleaning. the mites vanished in 2 days and i haven't seen any since (over 2 months ago). it doesn't smell like other products and you can also sprinkle onto hens to clear any problems they have. You can get this off eBay as well but i searched theweb a found it cheaper..

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 21:42:16 »
thanks, philmt..will have a look see  ;D

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 06:30:48 »
Sounds to me like the cost of food and spray and things makes these eggs a bit expensive?

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 14:21:38 »
Purple Heather

The chickens are not expensive to keep and if you sell/swap surplus eggs it certainly makes economic sense.

Thanks Philmt sounds like something I need!   I went up there today and still the b*****s are running around!  That is 3 different sets of cleaning.  What have you cleaned your house out with before powdering it?

Old Bird

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 19:24:36 »
we're paying 1.00 per dozen for our eggs, anyone who doesn't look after the chickens pays 1.00 for 6,
in asda, free range are 1.56 for 6 so, we're all getting a bargain and the money now pays for feed and things and the chooks eat all the slugs, snails and weeds for us so, we're getting an even better deal  ;D

PHILMT

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 20:17:12 »
I hate the smell of jayze fluid so just got some cheap disinfectant from Wilkos. i diluted it into one of them pump sprays which we bought for painting fence but was rubbish - really good for disinfecting chicking house though cos it gets it into all the little gaps - the first time i did this i know it killed 1000's of them cos they all came out to say goodbye but i went into shed the same night and it was still crawling - now i do the same every 2/3 weeks but then when its dried i just sprinkle a little of the powder about.  i bought 4 tins of it but have only used about 1/2 tin so far and haven't seen 1 mite or any insects in the shed for weeks now - i think its about 4.99 a tin.
Its making me itch again just talking about them. 

Good luck

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 09:37:15 »
Thanks PHILMT for that.  Yes I have had the things coming out in their thousands but the Jeyes fluid doesn't seem to kill them they seem to keep going!  I will certainly buy some of this stuff - all the other stuff I have got just doesn't seem to get rid of the blighters.  I noticed some on the eggs yesterday - again!

O B

labrat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 21:28:17 »
I use a product called Ecomite to cover my 3 chicken sheds with a dust that kills mites and lice - can be applied as a powder or mixed with water and sprayed which is what I do. But every 6 weeks I also dust each bird with Barrier Lice powder or redmite powder if needed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal