Author Topic: F*!!@**G RABBITS &/OR PIGEONS!!!!!!!!  (Read 2212 times)

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
F*!!@**G RABBITS &/OR PIGEONS!!!!!!!!
« on: June 30, 2008, 21:21:45 »
I'm angry.   I'm fuming.   I'm livid.   I want to kill something!!!

They watched.   They waited.   They scoffed the bl**dy lot!!!

Despite using copious amounts of netting & ensuring it was buried nearly six feet under (like certain members of the local wildlife should be) all my beds have been assaulted, pillaged and eaten.   That's nearly 200 square foot of labour and calorie-counting regime destroyed in 72 hours by a combination of pigeons and rabbits.

I've managed to get hold of various brassica seedlings to replant & some onion sets but peas, beans, sweetcorn and pumpkin are categorically dead.   I'm also attending a late sowing of carrots & leeks to see if I can get anything out of the plot this year.

Fortunately I have some bricks at home & these are now earmarked to go on the netting.   If the pests manage to move those little buggers off the netting I'll happily let them eat their fill

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

amphibian

Re: F*!!@**G RABBITS &/OR PIGEONS!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 22:48:13 »
I feel your pain, after losing my entire crop to deer, rabbits and thieves in 2006, I almost quit all together.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 23:00:18 »
I feel for you...

We had the same thing happen a few years ago and ended up having tp put a fence right around the allotment which keeps the rabbits out but we still need good netting for pigeons, I always use netting thats has a very small gap and never leave an area uncovered.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 08:22:00 »
what a shame,  >:(
somebody on here gave a good link for plants, vegetable plantsdirect.co.uk
we've put in for plants for september but they say they have things all year, might be worth a look, I know it's dearer than seed but you might get something  :)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 08:47:32 »
Pigeons are persistant little buggers!! I reckon one has been making a hole in my debris netting! Every time I sew it up another hole appears again In the same place!! Its after my brassica's and If i ever find it there one day its going to the great brassica bed in the sky!! >:(

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 08:52:46 »
they make great pie's ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal