Author Topic: Filter recommendations?  (Read 2627 times)

Noozan

• Not So New ...
Filter recommendations?
« on: July 31, 2004, 23:40:47 »
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here!  I've just moved into a house with a huge but overgrown garden; there's a pond which is about 6 1/2 foot long by 32 1/2 foot wide by 2 - 2 1/2 foot deep.  I've cleared out most of the plants and repotted them.  Got a couple of oxygenators and 4 marginals.  

There's 2 pumps in the pond at the moment, "Something" Cascade 1000, I'm not sure what the other one is.  The cascade one powers a small fountain and the other powers a waterfall.  I'm not keepinmg the waterfall as its too noisy, so either/both pumps could power a filter.

I want to put a few koi in the pond.  Can anyone recommend a good filter?

Any advice would be gratefully received! Thanks  :)
Birdie, birdie in the sky, dropped a poopie in my eye.  I did not scream, I did not cry, I just thanked God that cows can't fly!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re:Filter recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 09:41:55 »
Hi Noozan (is that Susan in disguise?) ;) and welcome from another newbie, I am assuming you meant 3ft wide? If your depth measurement (2-2½ft) is correct it isn’t really deep enough to keep Koi carp although I dare say some people may have succeeded, minimum depth of 4-5ft is recommended as I imagine the winters in Edinburgh can be severe hence the pond water may freeze allowing less unfrozen water for the Koi to survive. :-\

I reckon you must have a little over 400gallon of water and would think a small biological filter would serve the pond, seek advice from your local Koi supplier with regard to the pump flow, as too little or too much can upset the balance, a general rule is that all the water in the pond should pass through the filter in one to two hours.

Hope this helps. :)

Roy ;D

Noozan

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 12:14:06 »
Hi Roy,

Yes, it's Susan - not a very good disguise!  ;D

Oops, typo error, it is about 3 foot wide.  Thanks for the advice; I'm new to the area so will have to have a good hunt around for aquatic dealers.  I'm looking to set up a new fish tank too. *Excited*
Birdie, birdie in the sky, dropped a poopie in my eye.  I did not scream, I did not cry, I just thanked God that cows can't fly!

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2004, 22:21:45 »
Hi there.If you go to Water Gardening Direct's website they are excellent for helpful advice,reasonably priced products,and you can even email or phone them ref their products.I use them all the time.......but they are just down the road from me!

It is right what Roy says,Koi are most definitely not at all suitable.I have an 800 gallon pond and a 1200 gallon pond,yet I would still not keep koi.They need a deep pond,expensive filtration,a hell of a lot of room and will destroy plants.They grow very big,and it is a fallacy that they will only grow to the size of the pond!

I have a nice mix of various types of coldwater fish.The secret is to get your pond completely set up with plants and filtration first, then add the fish,a couple at a time over a long period,to allow the filter to mature.I have the Green genie set up on both my ponds,which incorporate a UV light to keep the water clear.The site I suggest will tell you all you need to know.
Margaret

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal