Author Topic: A Miscellany.  (Read 984 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
A Miscellany.
« on: February 10, 2008, 17:10:20 »
1. A rare outing - Burford Garden Co - lovely day. The plants, especially the indoor exotics, were superb.
The food 'hall' was its usual tempting self with, amongst others, Kelmscott sausages & Upton Smokery Chicken - the most luscious I've ever tasted. One sour note - in the wake of news of the £1.99 Chicken -  their Organic birds were £13.85. I very green, but not that green!!

2. Big ad in the press - Marcus Pierre White - "Knorr Chicken stock - delicious, honest food, never needed anything else " - not even the Organic one. So much for his cooking!

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
Re: A Miscellany.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 18:24:43 »
 £13.85     :o :o :o     Glad you had a nice day Tim, did you buy anything.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 18:48:20 »
I spied an organic chicken in Sainsburys the other day. I refuse to shop in supermarkets as a rule BTW but I was taking someone to the hospital that was next door so it was cheaper to park in their free car-park & go for a nosey!

Said organic chicken was 8.00 & the assistant I asked to be directed towards said chicken didn't really know what I was talking about.

Talking to someone today they said supermarkets only paid 2p for a battery chicken. There's a long way to go yet ...

The Devil Invented Dandelions!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 19:49:06 »
It basically boils down to how much you value the life of another thinking, feeling, living creature.  If you only think it is worth £1.99 and don't mind the pain and discomfort suffered during that life,  then that is what you pay.  :-\
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 21:30:23 »
It basically boils down to how much you value the life of another thinking, feeling, living creature.  If you only think it is worth £1.99 and don't mind the pain and discomfort suffered during that life,  then that is what you pay.  :-\

I'm not trying to upset or anything, just interested.  if you (anyone) are that worried about the life of another thinking, feeling, living creature would you/they realy be eating it?

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 21:57:53 »
Good point - in my case "no" - been veggie for 22 years. :)

But I suppose the welfare of an animal up to slaughter is important even if you do believe there is a form of killing that is humane and can get your head round the taking of a life.  Which in some cases I must do because I allow slugs to throw themselves in beer and drown.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 21:59:33 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2008, 22:07:12 »
Man is by nature an omnivore, ie a hunter gatherer.  The human digestive system is intended to accommodate both flesh and vegetables.

Personally, I never buy meat from a supermarket, particularly not Tesco.

I shall never be a vegetarian, but I do my best to buy meat that has been humanely reared and slaughtered.

valmarg

Just Vegging Out

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 22:34:54 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o-q5KJX4-w

Watch the above youtube

Its of newly hatched chicks - when we bare in mind the vast majority of baby creatures by nature are with a mother, that they feel pain, distress, and fear - and that the chicks in this process plant have yet to have feed or water.

Please ignore the last few seconds of the film - there is some laughter put on by the film maker who posted onto u-tube.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal