Author Topic: Swallow again  (Read 1487 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Swallow again
« on: August 30, 2007, 20:46:04 »
This young swallow has dropped out its nest.   Hope the parents are feeding it.   

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
Re: Swallow again
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 21:08:19 »
I seem to remember that Kate Humble said, during the 2006 Springwatch programme, that young swallows beaks have yellow / orange edges when the parents are still feeding them - aparantly it helps them to locate where the mouth is for stuffing daddy-long-legs into.

I might be wrong.  He's handsome though :)
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 21:40:16 »
The nest is just above where this wee thing is sitting.  She had 5 young uns and I am sure the others will leave the nest tomorrow, they are just about all falling out the nest.  This is the second brood she has had this summer.  The last nest is in the opposite side of the eaves and was much bigger.   ;) ;)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 13:15:49 »
Carol I had missed this one. What a great pic, I hope the little one survived. Have you seen him, her any more?

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 20:12:48 »
Not sure Lorna, this one was gone the next morning.  The other 4 are now flying but not fending for themselves yet.  I have just watched them flying above the house and they return to my lamps either side of the front door for their nightly sleep.  Bless em.  They bring a lump to my throat.  They have a long way to fly to get to Africa for winter.  I know am soft, don't care, I just think Swallows are wonderful and have been really pleased to have had them nest and raise 9 young round my window here.   

:) :) :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 08:52:56 »
So envious carol. When we lived other side of town we had swallows nesting in the eaves of the big building. We had a party in the building (about 100 people)  for my sons engagement.  We had strung nets across the beams which we filled with baloons. Neither the nets/disco music/people seemed to worry the swallow. Was a delight to see them swooping in and out of the building.
Lorna

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal