Author Topic: Tomato plants not growing - 1" high and purple!  (Read 2407 times)

cocopops

• Acre
Tomato plants not growing - 1" high and purple!
« on: May 20, 2007, 19:34:37 »
I managed to grow my tomatoes from seed and they came through really well in the trays. 

I hardened them off  before planting them out (I live in a warm area).  Unfortunately nothing has happened in the last three weeks.  I have fed them with tomato feed a few days ago but I am giving up hope. They are taking up a lot of space so should I 'bin' them and use the bed for something else, or there a chance that they may suddenly start to grow?

Luckily a friend has given me some tomato plants that she did not need (made mine look really inferior), and have planted them elsewhere.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Tomato plants not growing - 1" high and purple!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 20:00:45 »
Don't give up hope, it's only May!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 20:02:26 »
There is warm and there is warm so I guess yours have caught a chill.

Plus there is no need to feed with a high potash feed (tomato feed) until the flowers have set and you can see the embryo fruit.

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 22:12:17 »
don't give up on them yet, a bit of warm weather and they'll probably be racing away. :)

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 22:23:02 »
don't give up ever, veg are really strong. i put some courgettes out last month and then had loads of frost and they basically looked liked they had died. I ljust left them alone and now there are new leaves appearing and everything is rosy again.

i'm new to this but what i would do with the toms is repot them in fresh compost in a larger pot. if the soil is too wet or the compost is poor it could sort the problem

i've gone into small scale tomato production and am hoping to have a market stall to sell them in the summer

good luck

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 12:39:03 »
I have been given some spare tom plants by an acquaintance and they too are small, but I will pot them up this week and see if they do better. II don't think he has looked after them very well, they are in seed modules.
t has been so wet and cool here, all the toms, courgettes etc I put out are looking a bit poorly, but I too am hoping that with a bit of sun they will perk up.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 12:47:30 »
mine are the same. after reading the replies I guess leaving them out in our recent monsoon season hasn't helped... but there's no more room inside <wails>

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 17:31:27 »
Mine were out in the rain too long as well, and the lower leaves are showing signs of phosphorus deficiency.  But over the last few days I've moved them on into their final pots and given them a little feed.  They should be OK now that they can stretch their legs, and the upper leaves look nice and healthy.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 23:03:10 »
There is warm and there is warm so I guess yours have caught a chill.

Plus there is no need to feed with a high potash feed (tomato feed) until the flowers have set and you can see the embryo fruit.

Agree with Tee Gee - that purpling is a sure sign of cold stress.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 05:45:45 »
Some of my marigolds are showing this.  Thanks for the info.

;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 20:49:54 »
Thank you for the replies.  We have had a few days of sun, and now some of the plants are sprouting green leaves.  I will leave them for the time being and fingers crossed they will grow.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 22:25:57 »
What about leaves looking quite white and pale? I have some plants like this. I think it was wind damage and they do seem to be recovering, but could it be anything else?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal