Author Topic: Getting ready to plant pumpkins  (Read 933 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Getting ready to plant pumpkins
« on: April 26, 2007, 09:25:01 »
Sorry, I still call anything big and round growing on a vine pumpkin because to me squash is a little tiny round thing like  french beret related to the courgette  ;D
I have my beautiful Qld Blue pumpkins, a melon plant and possibly a couple of others if I find something interesting at the nursery. I will be planting them at the lottie soon. I had planned on planting them in the same area as the tomatoes, courgettes, gherkins. Can anyone tell me firstly how much space I need to allow per plant? Can they run over near other things or must they be in the open? Do they spread in a circle or more in a lengthwise direction?
Also I know they need food, so am planning to dig the bed and add manure and compost. Should I black plastic under them? Or would straw make a better mulch?
About when is harvest time? Autumn? (ok melon is summer, that I know).
And finally what should go in that bed once they come out? Or should I manure it and let it rest till spring? (trying to rotate as much as possible).
I am sure that at least jeannine will know all about this!!! I don't mind if I don't get a super crop but a few fruit would be nice to take me into winter.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Getting ready to plant pumpkins
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 10:18:35 »
Can only speak for Courgettes, small 'Squash' & Cus. Some do, some don't straggle.

I like them 4' apart. This is ready for 12.

OK - picture later when permitted!!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 12:57:05 »
Like this?

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 13:16:04 »
That looks so good Tim, I am dead jealous - wish I had all that space as I love growing them.  I'm trying some in BIG pots this year with lots of manure & good compost.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 13:19:45 »
OK! Each stick being a planting place I guess? I read too that you can make a little "hill" to plant them on, maybe that is a good idea. So I should plan to leave about 3 feet around each one... I still have quite a bit of space to spare and the quicker I can fill it up, the better :D
Read one of the others who said that when the pumpkin grows too much in one direction, they turn it round and make it go the other way ha ha. Might try that.
My plot is full of weeds, but now I have 10 days off so I will whip it into shape. Have to plant everything! I will maybe post some photos, keep you all up to date.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 15:56:59 »
Those are hills - well, hillocks - indeed!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal