Author Topic: New to this...  (Read 2656 times)

chlodonnay

• Not So New ...
New to this...
« on: March 06, 2007, 18:31:44 »
I wanted to post to say hello to everyone on this forum. I have just joined as I have just got an allotment (well half a plot). My husband and I are sooo excited! If anyone has any advice it would be gratefully received! We are complete novices.  :-\

I have bought loads of seeds, some of which I have got in my propagator. Some of these have unfortunately gone leggy (I went away for a couple of days and left my hubby in charge!). I have repotted them and am trying to give them lots of light. Is there anything else I can do.

Would anyone have any advice about planning our plot. I was thinking of having 4 large rectangular  beds with one smaller bed in the middle. What should we use to make our paths?

I also want to grow some flowers as well as our fruit and veg. I really like dahlias but they seem very expensive to buy (bulbs). Ideally we would like to grow something that would look nice, but that wouldn't take up too much space, and that would deter nasties from eating out veg!

Thanks everyone. This looks like a really friendly forum. Happy growing!  :)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: New to this...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 18:37:21 »
Happy's the word! And very supportive.

I'll leave the answers to the expert planners, but one caveat - DON'T try to beat the gun with sowing. With low light levels, you'll mainly get legginess.

And when handling your leggy ones, hold them by the leaves.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 18:44:28 »
Hi, chlodonnay, welcome to the site..only thing I'd advise is draw a plan, with the proper measurements..mark out your paths, cover with something like weed control or old compost bags, mulch it with ash, wood chippings or straw..then you know where to dig and where to walk..happy plotting  ;D

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 19:10:55 »
As they say a picture paints a thousand words and because I am a poor typist perhaps looking at my allotment here http://tinyurl.com/y72ret might help.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 19:23:50 »
Hi Chlo and welcome take Tim's advise on not jumping the gun, the weathers awful so be patient, happy digging.     ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 19:47:14 »
Welcome and feel free to ask loads of questions - we all do ;)

Have you tried Wilkinsons for Dahlia tubers?  I picked up a couple for a pound each.

The Amateurs

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 19:57:20 »
Hi, we've only had our plot just under a year so still learning, a couple of things we've picked up along the way, as the other say be patient, try and plan as much as you can, try and chat to as many people on your site as possible as they'll know what grows well and needs a little more TLC.  We also buy the Kitchen Garden magazine most months which is good for giving a guide of what to do when with plenty of pictures. As you can see our plot was less than perfect when we got it.......

but we were most encouraged when we got the crop of carrots and Turnips and so many runner beans (for flowers try some sweet peas close by, smell lovely and the buzzy bees like them too)

Happy Growing.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 20:04:07 »
great crop of carrots and turnips there, not so amateurs.. ;D

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 20:14:52 »
Lovely show!

cj :)

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 20:18:53 »
I grew dahlias from seed last year, quite successfully.
They flowered in the first year.

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 20:21:49 »
I grew dahlias from seed a few years ago. It was the first time I had tried to save seed, and I was well pleased. I havent done it since, as we have moved to a smaller garden, so havent got room for too many of the same plant. Now I have an allotment, I will be saving seed this year, to give it another go.

cj :)

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 21:15:52 »
Lovely carrots (jealous as I still haven't managed to grow any!)

I did manage dahlias from seed last year though. They were Bishop's Children and very easy to grow. The best ones you can dig up the tubers at the end of the season and keep for the following year.
Welcome and have lots of fun. :D

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 07:36:07 »
Hi and welcome - loved your carrots I am hoping to trial some different one this year

Also new to allotments as have always grown in containers in small garden before.

keep up the good work

BB  :)  :)

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 08:31:56 »
Hello from another newcomer to the site. Yes, the weather's foul, so spend time now on planning, making notes (vital!), taking photos (look back on them this time next year and see how much you're achieved) and chatting to the other plot-holders.

Don't try to get too much done in one go: we aimed to get a third of our plot dug & planted in year one, so when we actually managed two thirds we were over the moon!

And concentrate on things which are easy to grow & tasty to eat.

Trevor

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 09:21:18 »
Our site was pretty stony, so as we went we collected them and used them for a path. we dug a shallow path-sized trench, lined it with plastic and just dumped all the stones in it - sprouts the occasional weed but works ok

emmy1978

• Hectare
  • It's good to be in my gardening shoes again!
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2007, 13:55:57 »
Hello and welcome. You'll find this site soooo helpful. Although am newbie too, so I mainly ask stuff but I would say don't have your beds too wide as you'll be trampling all over the soil to get to stuff. 4' seems to be the recommended, that way you can reach the middle.
Poundland, wilkinsons, woolworths, all brill for garden stuff, seeds, bulbs etc. I bought 5 dahlia tubers from £land last week. Very hard to control myself in there I have to say. Happy growing  :D
Don't throw paper away. There is no away.

chlodonnay

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 09:41:45 »
Hello all, thanks very much for all the advice. I have replanned our plot so that our beds will be about a metre in width so wedon't have to tread on them too much. My seeedlings are coming on quite well I think. We have tomatoes, peppers and aubergines already and I;m trying to grow some herbs from seed too. My flat is not large and is now completely over run with pots! We are going to spend the weekend trying to get the plot dug and ready for planting. Thanks again for all the advice. I'm sure I will have loads more to ask about in the next few weeks. Happy gardening all! :D

sawfish

• Hectare
  • glasgow dreamer
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2007, 09:54:20 »
I'd just experiment as much as possible. I grew lots of stuff that the older people had never even tried on their allotment. People can stick to the same stuff too much and if something doesn't grow then its all good cause you learn from your mistakes.

Here's my plot before and after 1 year. Dont try to get it all done in one shot either, dont sicken yourself. Dig individual beds so you can get something satisfying after a couple of days work. Bit by bit.

http://tinyurl.com/2njkyn

I even grew melons under makeshift coldframes after being told I had no chance. Making coldframes out of old window frames is a great and simple thing to do especially if you dont have a greenhouse.

http://tinyurl.com/2uw22k

What I would say is get your earth good, fertile and relatively weed free first, then dont give up on the weeding in the summer as it gets less and less over the years if you do (apparently). Get dung if you can!

Dont plant veg too close together either, make sure the hoe will fit between things when they grow bigger.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 10:06:29 by sawfish »

chlodonnay

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 11:23:36 »
Sawfish your allotment is absolutely beautiful. If mine ends up half as good as that then I will be happy!

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2007, 14:18:22 »
Hello! They're a really helpful bunch on this forum, so you've discovered the right place for asking questions!

Having only had my plot for a year I ca empathise with where you are right now.  My seasoned (yeah right! ;D) advice is:
- Plan things out carefully and allow access for kneeling too.
- Do you want to grow any permanent plants (artichokes, asparagus, fruit trees etc) ear mark (and weed suppress) the beds to be worked on for these so that when you approach them during the year a: they won't be towering with weeds and b: you get to prioritise which areas to work on for plants which need to be sown early in the season. The perment beds can be worked on as and when ensuring that they are properly ready for when your plants are delivered instead of a mad rush to get them in the ground.
- someone on this site once said that it is possible to sow too early and have weak/failed plants, but often late sown seeds can prosper.  With our climate changes at the moment, this is quite apt as last year I was still picking baby courgettes in October.

Have a great time on your plot, it's certainly worth the effort! ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal