Author Topic: Rain & Spuds  (Read 1643 times)

Mr Rob

Rain & Spuds
« on: March 06, 2007, 14:17:31 »
Hi

I have had an allotment since Xmas.  Its all going well - shed built, fence errected, beds all laid out and dug.  I have bought the seeds and chitted my spuds for the last month or so.

However, i haven't planted anything yet as i'm concerned about planting any seeds as it has been so wet lately - will the seeds rot if i plant them?  Or is it okay to start planting? 

Secondly with the seed potatos that i am chitting - will they have any ill effects if they are not planted soon - some of the shoots are getting to well over an inch now - should I pull off  the larger shoots if i am unable to plant them because of the ground being too wet.

Your help is appreciated!

Many thanks

Chantenay

• Half Acre
Re: Rain & Spuds
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 14:51:12 »
The best thing you can do for yourself is wander round and see what everyone else is doing.  The answer lies in where you live, localised drainage, soil and so on and then of course, the weather! Here in my part of Warks, we would normally have our onion sets in by now, but this year the ground is so waterlogged it would not be sensible.
Over to the spud experts to answer the chitting question.
Chantenay.

darkranger

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 15:21:51 »
welcome bob, i've decided to head on in and start plantin' away in recent weeks (well since the snow went away). as matey boy says, check out what your green fingered buddies are up to if in doubt, and ask around. you'll be surprised how quickly you learn over a brew in the shed.

Best of british to you!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 15:39:55 »
I go along with the others see what others around you are doing not very much outdoors I would guess but a lot in doors most probably.

I put the following in the edible section in case you missed it;

Regarding planting out potatoes I view them this way;

You can plant them as early as you like but they will probably just sit dormant or even rot if the ground is too wet/cold.

If they do grow then the problem is the tops might get frosted when they emerge, meaning all that you hoped for by planting out early is lost.

If you still go ahead and plant out early don't earth up until they emerge then you can use the earthing up to protect them.

If this is still not enough protection get the fleece at the ready.

I wont plant my earlies out till around 23rd April and I bet I am eating potatoes nearly as quick as someone planting out today.

Patience is the order of the day!!

p.s. Something I didn't put in the other thread I am in no hurry to plant out mine, after all I am still eating last years potatoes and will be for another couple of months yet.

It all come to those who wait....nature is funny that way!

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 17:56:35 »
"as matey boy says, check out what your green fingered buddies are up to"

But I'm a girl!!!!!!!!
Chantenay.

Zoglet

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 20:49:06 »
Last year I didn't get my allotment until the end of March and so planted the spuds mid April. The chits were about 6 inches long. The result was lovely! Fantastic spuds- don't worry, you have got loads of time and they will catch up !

Enjoy
Got first allotment 24//4/06 - so much to do!

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 20:56:47 »
havn,t I heard somewhere that the traditional day for planting spuds is good friday? Iknow it moves around a bit but around that time seems a good idea
margaret :-*
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 21:21:10 »
Welcome mr rob.
I agree with the others - wait till the weather warms up. Things grow better when it's warmer and lighter.
I'm starting off hardy annuals (flowers)indoors just now and also broad beans in cells. I'll harden them off when they're big enough and then plant them out.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 22:09:07 »
I dont pull the shoots off as that is where other spuds will grow from. Pull them off and you lose a branch of spud from the plant.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Mrs T

• Not So New ...
  • Digging in February!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 06:03:58 »
Hi - I read somewhere that Good Friday was the traditional spud planting day too, this was because it was the first holiday since Christmas for the rural poor.  I also read that the men would drop their trousers and sit on the soil, if it was warm enough, it was planting time!   I'm not sure if I'll try this method!
Mrs T

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 07:24:00 »
Yes - if in doubt hold fire. Things will catch up. But as the temptation to get things moving is very strong, why not try the odd experimental sowing/planting? Try a couple of spuds: if they do well, you're laughing, if not you've not really lost anything. I put half a dozen early spuds in the other day under fleece and yesterday 4 calabrese (plants overwintered) under bell cloches. But I'm not putting much more in till things dry a bit.

Trevor

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 08:24:00 »
"as matey boy says, check out what your green fingered buddies are up to"

But I'm a girl!!!!!!!!

We don't have any of that sex discrimination on here matey.

We are a bit ahead of you down here with the season but with all the wet weather even I would wait a while. Be patient, and when you have them in don't be too hasty in getting them out again. 

Zoglet

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 20:12:24 »
I read that Saint Pats day is the starting of the spud planting season, not sure if thats so, but Im going to try planting mine early next week  (weather permitting) which I believe is also a biodynamicly favored time!
 :)
Got first allotment 24//4/06 - so much to do!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 20:23:41 »
shhhhh, our potatoes in the poly, surrounded with spike the dog's hair are showing..gonna get the mick taken out of me now..it's to stop slugs, an experiment

let the merriment begin  ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal