Author Topic: New computer  (Read 1876 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
New computer
« on: February 13, 2007, 21:00:39 »
Has anyone any experience (good or bad)of Packard Bell computers?
TIA.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: New computer
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 22:20:06 »
I have a Packard Bell laptop Eric and had no problems.  (touch wood)  well apart from the glitch when we tried to install broadband and it hadnt been installed into our telephone exchange.  Also I have worn out one keyboard and wearing out the 2nd one!!!.   No Probs. 

Hex

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 19:26:31 »
No problems with our Packard Bell PC, four years old now.  The monitor died after 15 months, anbd we had a major virus at one point but no hardware problems to date.  I think the newer ones come with a 'revert to factory settings' option which is really useful.

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 19:35:57 »
IMO the only thing that matters with the bigger PC suppliers is the after sales services.
Check out the help lines charges and wether you have to pay to return the PC under warranty (RTB - return to base) or if it is an onsite warranty and weigh this against buying local or online.

You cant really say "I had a Packard bell which was rubbish because the hard drive died" because all the company's build PC's from the same "pool" of parts. So a hard drive has the same chance of dying in a DELL, PB or Fujitsu etc system

One thing I object to is having things installed without being asked eg AOL , Norton Internet security and MS office 30 day trials. I like a PC with a basic windows install or better still just the discs and drivers. I'm sure this is why there are so many people suffering with Norton AV and AOL.

Personally I would look at ebuyer or Novatech

Glow

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 22:17:10 »
Glow,
Echo your thoughts on the software that you 'really didn't want'.
Won't list them but you understand what i mean!!!!!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

WASSISNAME

• Quarter Acre
  • I water garden. The wife does the earth bit
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 23:39:45 »
For those with a Dell or any other make with preinstalled softwarwe it may be worth a look here

http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/
The Wife does the gardening I just admire it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal