Author Topic: Worlds gone bonkers  (Read 2095 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
Re: Worlds gone bonkers
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2006, 13:48:28 »
I think I heard it right from my son,(a qualified electrician but didn't bother to pass the part P regulations as he no longer trades as an electrician) but an electrician has to have part P certificate for domestic work but can still carry out commercial electrical work without certificate. Mind you he often tells me I don't listen to him. If these new regulations save lives can't see anything wrong in them, but surely lives are just as precious in a commercial situation.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 20:05:25 »
Trust me, it's got nothing to do with saving lives but it has everything to do with the Blairites making £300 a time for certification

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 13:08:10 »
Trust me, it's got nothing to do with saving lives but it has everything to do with the Blairites making £300 a time for certification

Not to mention the money made from fines on those who inadvertently breach the regulations.

It's interesting that it is claimed that 8 deaths and 550 serious injuries are caused each year by faulty wiring.  It's unclear of cause how many of those are caused by badly installed wiring (as opposed to old or vermin-damaged wiring, for instance).

As a comparison, there are supposed to be 20 deaths and 250 serious injuries per year caused by old and worn-out electric blankets.  These deaths are mainly of old people.  If saving life were the real reason for Part P, then before that was enacted, it would have been made a criminal offence to possess an electric blanket that was damaged or over 10 years old.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal