Author Topic: Polytunnel or green house?  (Read 3836 times)

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
Polytunnel or green house?
« on: May 31, 2006, 13:10:44 »
Having struggled with a 6 by 4 plastic greenhouse, I have decided that I need to get a bigger structure to house my seedlings and various plants I am growing or want to grow.

I have budget of about £500 max and I have plenty of space.
Would I be better with a green house or polytunnel?
This year I have grown winter and summer veg, strawberries, tomatoes chillis, aubergines, peppers whihc have all taken over the hosueand my OH is not looking forward to Janaury having not been able to shuthte curtans for months!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Polytunnel or green house?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 15:24:44 »
My vote would go to 'greenhouse' they are more versatile in my opinion.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 15:27:07 »
I agree with TG, also much, much longer lasting.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 15:37:43 »
 :-\

Am no expert, but it seems to me that with a PT you get more undercover space for your money. If space is no problem you could have a big tunnel and if you look after it carefully, and have no animals/kids/overhanging trees to rip the plastic it could be a very useful thing to have. Have just been reading about the tape you can get to fix rips on them, it seems that even if you do have a small tear it is fixable.

As I say, am no expert, this is my first year with a greenhouse, but if i had space I would go the PT route.

Let us know what you decide, and then post lovely pics please?!!
 ;D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 16:45:18 »
If you go for the ' Dutch style greenhouse ' you have as much room as you would have in a poly tunnel.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 21:58:08 »
I have two 6x8' Eden Greenhouses and a 8x10' polytunnel. You certainly get more space for your money under plastic. Some things grow better in the tunnel, it brings on seedlings quicker I find. Some things really don't like the humidity you can get in a tunnel. Both is the ideal solution if space is no problem!
 ;D

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 23:23:07 »
If you go for the ' Dutch style greenhouse ' you have as much room as you would have in a poly tunnel

I doubt a £500 greenhouse would be as big as a £500 tunnel

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 00:01:47 »
I think a greenhouse would  last longer than a tunnel  as plastic needs replacing
on tunnel... I think every 3 or 4 years  .. You  would get quite a big greenhouse for 500    probably up to a 12 footer..  Which would last you years ..cheers Jim
Cheers .. Jim

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 07:04:32 »
If you go for the ' Dutch style greenhouse ' you have as much room as you would have in a poly tunnel.

I'd been debating the polytunnel/greenhouse question too, but after a great deal of thought decided a greenhouse would be a more flexible, pleasant and long-lasting investment. The dutch-style was a lucky accident on ebuygumbay, I'd strongly recommend the build - loads of room :)

If you find a supplier, I think you could haggle given your budget :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 07:07:34 by supersprout »

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 15:42:59 »
Thanks for the advice ;D ;D

Just need to find the best value for money. My OH is insisting that if I get a greenhouse that I must have toughened glass for when we have kids, or for when I fall over. Taking that into account restricts what I can get somewhat.
Any advice for good companies or ones to steer clear of?
Also whats the opinions on metal/ wood greenhouses with polycarbonate sheeting instead of glass?

Thanks again, getting exciteed over brochures now!! ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 22:55:57 »
Having just tried to remove my finger, on an old window doubling up as a cold frame light, toughened glass every time, most polycarboates go brittle eventually, at least with toughened glass you keep your body intact! Clearing up this little blocks of glass is tedious but safe!
 8)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 07:49:53 »
This is a once-in-a-lifetime decision, so hope you can get the bees knees in terms of shape and size without compromising ... Agree with fingerless saddad :-*(that was a cold frame!), go for glass and get the shape of greenhouse you want. Polycarbonate can give a false sense of security, like saddad says brittle polycarbonate is nasty stuff! Kids can only benefit from learning to be responsible with glass, sharp tools, ladders and so on - IMHO they are at more risk from crossing the road or in the car. You can make the greenhouse even safer with careful siting, surrounds, good flooring and solid trestles, and rules when the kiddies come along :)

Greenfingers Jo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 12:29:21 »
Thanks for all your brilliant ideas. Tell me if this is a daft idea. ::)

Could I put up a three walled building with a clear corrugated sheeting roof, with a large lean to greenhouse on the side? This would give me a potting shed  plus green house. I would then not have to take up any space in the green House bit with bags of compost,tools etc and be able to maximise the space.
Any suggestions for improvement on that?

Thanks
Jo

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 22:14:29 »
Ha, this is what I have to use to supply me with enough plants for my 12 rods plus my garden ..... and it works 8)

PS. I wish I had a huge GH though :'(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal