Author Topic: Is it too late to add manure?  (Read 2892 times)

tlc

• Quarter Acre
Is it too late to add manure?
« on: April 11, 2006, 20:47:13 »
Hi,

We have an allotment in north London which we got this year so we have spent most weekends getting rid of the grass and digging over the plot.  We have planted some onions and early potatoes and after looking at the soil were wondering about adding manure before planting anything else but I don't know if it is too late.  Should there be a gap between adding the manure and planting anything in the soil?  And I assume that if we do add manure, we will have to dig it in - Arghh, not sure my system can cope with all the digging!

I would appreciate any comments on what we should do.

Thanks,

tlc

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Re: Is it too late to add manure?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 20:56:22 »
My brain enjoys the digging more than my back as i find it quite therapeutic turning soil over.  I was very pleased to find that my recent efforts to turn solid clay into something useful have worked quite well and everything's a lot lighter and fluffier than when i first started a few months ago.

Can't comment on the manure bit though and await others responses as eagerly as you tlc.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

tlc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 22:13:32 »
Thanks for replying MrsKP - I know what you mean about the therapeutic value of repetitive tasks like digging but I feel ready for the next stage - you know, the growing of veggies bit!  :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 22:30:29 »
Frustrating ain't it tlc? Itchy fingers!
There's some useful advice on this topic at http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/topic,14899.0
hope this is helpful :)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 22:32:58 »
Hi TLC

Welcome from one newbie plotter to another.

Think it depends on the manure.  I have been using the bagged stuff - mostly because the only source of 'real' poo is at Ealing stables and the OH can't be asked to empty out the trailer, so I can use to bag up and transport some of the real stuff. >:(

I've been using the bagged variety in the garden and all the plants there love it and show there appreciation with huge growth every year.  It's a jungle by July.

Based on that I have been using it on the beds where I know the veggies will like it but not on roots or legumes.

I transplated some raspberries and strawbs and they have both responded well to the manure.

Hope that helps a bit.

tlc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 22:39:47 »
Thanks, so the consensus seems to be to go for the manure - just not on the root veg, legumes and brassicas. 

I won't be able to log on tomorrow but look forward to checking for any more comments/experiences on Thursday when, hopefully, I will also buy our first ever shed.  Oh it is good to talk about this stuff with who understand my excitement instead of shaking their heads and muttering things about being a 'sad person who needs to get out more' ;D.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 06:21:40 »
Thursday when, hopefully, I will also buy our first ever shed
Good luck tlc, mine is still kit form but hope it will be up Easter Monday. The Consumers' Association (Which?) have an excellent report on choosing and putting up a garden shed. Have you seen it? If you're interested, send me a pm and I will forward a copy.

Do please post photos of your shed/plot so everyone can share the pleasure. Glad you feel right at home among the imaginary allotmenteers. Watch out, it's addictive!
;)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 06:59:04 »

Do please post photos of your shed/plot so everyone can share the pleasure. Glad you feel right at home among the imaginary allotmenteers. Watch out, it's addictive!
;)

lol ........... saved me asking ........ and i'm surrounded by people who think i should get out more  ;D

and i'm so glad i'm not the only one who has to use the bagged stuff as i've still not found a local supplier of WRM.    ;D

good luck tlc.  see ya Thursday !
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

tlc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 18:35:55 »
Not sure my technical skills could reach the heady heights of taking a photograph and posting it on here but I will make a concerted effort to learn from my teenage nephew and nieces!

I got the shed from homebase and have just been contacted by the delivery people - they are going to deliver it this Saturday!  Fantastic, except we haven't evened out the ground and haven't organised any paving slabs and pallets to put it on - argh!  Also got a wheelbarrow today so, feeling extra excited ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 20:10:16 »
Woo hoo!
Sounds like you're in for a fun weekend ;D
Nephews and nieces could look here on the wiki for instructions how to post photographs. No end to the pressure is there? 8) Happy easter ;)

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 22:31:08 »
You could just plant stuff and use the manure as a mulch between rows, it would do some good, you won't have to dig it, it'll keep the weeds down and the water in. Eventually the worms will take it into the soil. Best not to let it actually touch your plants.

tlc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 20:16:38 »
Thanks derbex, I am sure i had read that somewhere but couldn't find it in my books so I am relieved to know that it wasn't just my imagination. 

I think my friend whom i share the plot with is keen to dig it in to 'improve soil structure' for this year but i still think it is too late if we want to plant things out soon as, again, i am sure i read somewhere that the manure needs to be worked in a few weeks before planting things out in the treated soil.  Oh what a dilemma!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2006, 10:14:34 »
Improve the soil structure? If you mulch, you can rely on WORMS :D

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2006, 22:27:22 »
Nothing wrong with digging in muck now but you will be behind, better to have done it at least a month ago. Digging muck in like this is essential if you want good results, no way round that I'm afraid!  ;D Good luck with your endeavors

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal