Author Topic: Paraffin  (Read 2957 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Paraffin
« on: January 19, 2006, 21:16:54 »
For those who use paraffin for heating/Sheen Gun use, have you tried 28 sec heating oil?

Found the same query on another forum, replies were interesting. The main point being running costs! The cost of paraffin from the 'sheds' shows how we are being ripped off.
I used to buy it in 5 litre containers from a local garage which, unfortunately, closed down.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

agapanthus

• Hectare
Re: Paraffin
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 21:49:16 »
So this 28sec is cheaper then?

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 23:02:07 »
???

Am thinking in advance about my virtual greenhouse...28sec?????????

Can someone explain please?

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 11:48:11 »
Ok I did a bit of a google and this is what I found out.

What type of oil should I use?

Almost all UK domestic central heating systems use 28sec oil, which is sometimes known as kerosene. This fuel burns more cleanly than heavier oil products such as gasoil, which is also known as 35sec heating oil. 28sec oil can also be used in kitchen ranges such as AGA cookers.

As the sulphur content of oil has fallen, some domestic oil suppliers have added additional lubricants to kerosene to enable fuel to be pumped to the boiler more easily. This is not usually necessary for most systems, as modern pumps have been engineered to operate effectively with low-sulphur fuels, but if you are unsure if you would benefit from using such fuels, speak to your equipment supplier.

Is oil less friendly to the environment?

A modern high-efficiency oil system can provide an environmentally acceptable alternative, especially for homes that are not connected to the gas main. As with all heating systems, regular servicing will help the boiler burn more cleanly and efficiently, and it is important to match all boilers to modern central heating controls.

Many people are concerned by the threat of Global Climate Change, and are keen to reduce their personal emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2), the main gas contributing to this effect. Official figures from the UK's Department for the Environment, Farming and Rural Affairs (Defra) indicate a carbon content for domestic heating oil (kerosene) of 0.24kgCO2 per kWh, compared to figures of 0.214kgCO2 per kWh for LPG and 0.19kgCO2 per kWh for gas. However these figures are for gross calorific values, and a typical "A" rated condensing oil boiler achieving 95% efficiency would be responsible for around 5% more CO2 in use. Equivalent gas condensing boilers are a little less efficient, reducing the carbon penalty for oil systems to less than 10% compared to LPG and around 20% for mains gas.

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 11:54:16 »
I don't really know anything about it, but my understanding was that the 'premium' paraffin that is normally sold in B&Q etc for heating greenhouses is much cleaner than 28 sec oil, which is intended for use in oil-heated boilers. It's more expensive because they've had to remove more sulphur and more particles (and also because it's in small containers rather than big tanks).

So, if you burn 28 sec oil in your greenhouse heater, you potentially get a bit more soot and sulphur oxides than using the more expensive stuff.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 15:01:54 »
Thanks for posting the tech. info. Snail.
Am wondering Ceratonia if the extra fumes from 28 sec. oil would be harmful to plants? If your heater wick is not trimmed correctly, the fumes can be quite bad using paraffin but plants don't seem to be affected.
Heating oil is running at 35/36p per litre compared to £'s for a 4litre container of 'paraffin'.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal