Author Topic: shower curtains  (Read 3895 times)

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
    • Facility of the Month, Warrington Cycle Camaign
shower curtains
« on: January 02, 2006, 21:45:09 »
Hello,
can anyone help me here? How can I get rid of the black gunky mould on the bottom of my shower curtain, and KEEP it off?

regards,
thanks

C.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
Re: shower curtains
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 22:04:16 »

1/2  cup laundry detergent 
 1/2  cup baking soda 
 1  cup vinegar 

Washing Plastic Shower Curtains- Put them into the washing machine with two large bath towels.

Add one-half cup of detergent and one-half cup of baking soda.

Then pour in a cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle

Hang up the curtains right after washing and let them air-dry
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 14:18:35 »
Oh dear,

just double checking the instructions,...pity it's AFTER I've started the washing machine!!!

I put the three ingredients in the machine and turned the thingy to Rinse. I've a feeling I should have left the vinegar till the cycle had come around to the rinse instead...

will see what happens

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 14:25:26 »
your washing machines going to smell so nice after this.....

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 21:21:47 »
We have terrible trouble with mildew in our house. It is all on the walls in our bedroom and also round the windows in most of the house. I don't know how to control t or what we are doing wrong. I have tried the usual bleach and mildew solutions, but it keeps coming back!

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 21:39:37 »
I just put mine in with the whites about once a month and add a scoop of vanish powder(the one in the pink tub) and I have no problems at all  ;D
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 23:10:42 »
emmalou - it's a sign of dampness in the house. the moisture is condensing on the cold parts, i.e. cold corners of the house and around the windiws. the only thing you can do is air the house more, to reduce the moisture in the air.
it's that, or some major upgrades to your double glazing/roof/wall insulation.
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 14:58:55 »
DG,
Is your water hard in Dublin?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 15:04:19 »
I'd buy a new one :)
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 16:43:04 »

A new house or a new shower curtain?

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2006, 17:38:48 »
We get a lot of condensation in the house as well, mostly upstairs, I leave the windows wide open for a few hours as well as wiping down the windows every morning but it just keeps coming. I'm sick of it, it makes the corners and round the windows look awful.I'm always glad when summer comes and it goes.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 17:49:11 »
Is there a simple way of getting rid of the black gunk that congregates on the tile grouting? Don't want to use chemical formulas if I can help it
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 08:44:00 »
spray bleach on it, that seems to do the trick.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 17:45:04 »
My Wife swears by Dettox Mould and Mildew cleaner!! I've seen the results and i have to agree (I have to agree with her anyway) they're v. good.
Cheers KevB
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 18:12:43 »
Oh dear,

just double checking the instructions,...pity it's AFTER I've started the washing machine!!!

I put the three ingredients in the machine and turned the thingy to Rinse. I've a feeling I should have left the vinegar till the cycle had come around to the rinse instead...

will see what happens

LOL Ciaran, aint that always the way  :D, I do the same get the gist then do the gig then go look at the instructions again while whatever it is, is doing whatever I thought it was doing...  ;D

DolphinGarden

• Acre
  • skip skavenger
shower curtains
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 20:15:22 »
DG,
Is your water hard in Dublin?
I don't know definitively but have never had probs with electric kettles or washing machines.

We have terrible trouble with mildew in our house. It is all on the walls in our bedroom and also round the windows in most of the house. I don't know how to control t or what we are doing wrong. I have tried the usual bleach and mildew solutions, but it keeps coming back!

In the new apartment development my mother lives in, there is a similar problem with mildew, doesn't  matter what the afflicted do, it returns. I feel that you are treating the symptoms but not the problem. Are there sufficient vents in each room,y'know the louvred type???

Yeah, this is the new one!I am of the persuasion to fix things than get a new one. OH says I'm tight, I think I'm thrifty. I'd rather darn socks than buy new ones, I bought iron-on elbow pads to rescue a favourite Levi shirt recently! I was discussing with s.o. recently, about nowadays being a very consumerist society.It it's broken, let's say a toaster, it's as easy and cheap to junk it and buy another one. Now we have a recycling tax aswell as the plastic bag tax...

I do have a new one I bought in a boot sale, to be used if we ever sell the house, it goes up!E2.00, couldn't pass it up!

Is there a simple way of getting rid of the black gunk that congregates on the tile grouting? Don't want to use chemical formulas if I can help it
I have an old toothbrush lying by the bath/shower and give the tiles a going over while taking a shower. I take turns (different days) on the tiles and then rubbing the shower curtain together like I'm on a river bank in darkest Peru doing the laundry.

To Val and Emmalou, many years ago I trained as a plumber and we were trained/told to allow for two airchanges per hour per room.The dimensions of the room were taken and the radiator was sized accordingly in btu's, I'm sure there's a metric version now. I imagine it's to account for all your "breathing out" and the dampness caused...

thanks to all replies. I will try Greenwizard's tip again with the last of the vinegar. Some day when I have time to watch the machine click around to the Rinse setting, turn it off and wait two mins while I can open it, then add the vinegar.

Yeah, Ozzy, the amount of company team building days that I've been on, y'know to build  leadership skills and all that. the amount of times I've rushed off without reading properly the instructions-just to beat the other team or get a head start! You'd think I'd learn after a while.

Mimi, it did say to wash it once a month, but invariably I'd have the machine started before I'd remember.

C.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 21:56:52 by DolphinGarden »

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 20:30:26 »
Yeah, Ozzy, the amount of company team building days that I've been on, y'know to build  leadership skills and all that. the amount of times I've rushed off without reading properly the instructions-just to beat the other team or get a head start! You'd think I'd learn after a while.
unquote thang from DG.. Know the score Ciaran and maybe it's an Oirish thang m8 but u gotta larf...  ;D ;D ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 12:13:28 »
Have you tried to hire or buy a dehumidifier??  I had a flood in my last house and had to dry it out before carpet was relayed.  A friend lent me hers and it was amazing.  Haven't got a clue how it works but I would wake every morning and check the container to find it full to the brim with water collected from the surrounding air.  Took about 2 weeks of gradually diminishing abouts of water before all was dry..  Beauty of it was it also freshened the air, got rid of the damp in that room in no time at all.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

EmmaLou

• Half Acre
    • www.peachpicture.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 12:35:00 »
Yes our house does have problems with ventilation. There is no extractor fan in the bathroom or kitchen, so I think this is a large part of the problem (although I always leave the window open after cooking/bathing). Also the doubleglazing is useless - there is condensation between the glass and also some of the windows don't close properly (although that probably helps ventilation!). Unfortunately as we rent the place we can't deal with the larger issues and the landlord isn't very keen on spending out on these things.

A dehumidifier sounds like a good idea, although I expect they are expensive to rent. I'll have to ask round and see if I can borrow one.

Sorry if I have hijacked this thread about shower curtains! I didn't think it was too far off the subject.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 14:12:35 »
What you need is an extractor fan not a dehumidifier. I moved into a Council flat with a bit of damp once; a few months later they put in a couple of extractor fans, and all the problems just disappeared. If you really need a dehumidifier, assuming you're in the UK, then there's probably something very badly wrong. The only places I've seen them in the West Mids have been in blocks which were criminally badly designed and built.

PS if your landlord won't do anything you need a solicitor on it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal