Author Topic: Peppers (Capsicums)  (Read 1670 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Peppers (Capsicums)
« on: January 16, 2006, 22:37:17 »
Help please! 

I want to grow some green, red and yellow peppers but the only seeds I have were taken from shop bought ones.  Will they grow in this country or do I have to get them from a seed company?  I eagerly await your replies please!

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: Peppers (Capsicums)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 06:54:38 »
Always worth a go with saved seed but if you have a Netto near you they are currently doing a packet of D.H. Brown's Californian Wonder capsicum seeds for only .19p. :D

amphibian

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 09:04:09 »
They might grow, but they may not be true seeds (either because they are the seed of a commercial F1 variety, or because they have cross polinated with another variety grown near by) if they are not true seed they will produce unexpected results, if they grow at all.

If I were you I'd aim for some seeds from an open pollinating variety, then it is easy to save your own seed for future use.

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 12:49:37 »
Pauline, I've got 3 mostly empty packs of pepper seeds here that you are welcome to! They are Redskin (reccomended for containers) only 2 seeds, D'asti Caillo (Yellow, half a dozen seeds - had rubbish germiation!) and Californian Wonder (sow by 2005, but quite a few seeds left so worth a try??).

Redskin is F1, but the others aren't. I've got your other swap here ready to go, so I can pop them in with them if you like  :)
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 18:54:46 »
Thanks Moggle, it really is very kind of you.  I look forward to receiving them.  Thank you.  Pauline

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 20:51:06 »
got a spare packet of T&M Californian Wonder sweet peppers that I got free.....you are welcome to these. pm me with  your address...if the pm facility works ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 22:58:42 »
Thanks for the offer Agapanthus, I have E-Mailed you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal