Author Topic: start the New Year  (Read 2366 times)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
start the New Year
« on: December 31, 2005, 20:32:14 »
I think I am going to start the New year by sowing some cabbage seed in a cool greenhouse.  I know it is early but it will be intresting to see how they preform from an early sowing.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: start the New Year
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 20:53:07 »
I'm going to sow some leeks tomorrow and maybe go and do a bit of digging ignoring the fact that the soil is way too wet because I haven't dug for a week and I want to dig
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 22:32:10 »
I'm thinking of starting the New Year by planting my new Winter Honeysuckle, assuming that it's ok to plant when there is risk of an air frost on the night of the day after (Monday night that is)?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 23:12:15 »
Weather permitting, I'm going to carry on digging ground elder out of my flowerbeds.

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 13:39:52 »
Soil is much to wet to do anything at the moment... will get parsnips,sprouts and boerenkool out this afternoon, thats all. oh  and some fresh potatoes, I must not forget...

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 15:15:34 »
Well I am mostly digging at the moment, and today was an excellent day to continue. My rest area, with bench, incinerator, barbeque and trees is heavily infested with couch, brambles and nettles, and this is my main focus now. Slow work though ...

powerspade

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 10:16:36 »
Finished winter digging just before Christmas, I trying mellons for the first time this year, sown the seeds in pot and just hope they come. This week I`m starting off cabbages. and clean up the shed reaady for the off in the spring- cannot wait "champing at the bit".

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 11:02:01 »
I was thinking the same as you Richard- cabbages in the cold frame. Also going to put some broad beans in pots as I haven't seen any sign of my November sowing on the plot. Also plant out my asparagus crowns - if I can decide where to put them!

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 14:25:14 »
Yesterday started off by raking leaves, re edging the lawn, greenhouse odd jobs, weeding, digging, cutting back plants e.t.c  A good start to the new GARDENING year!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 14:51:52 »
Well, tomorrow, I'm spending the day finshing the trench and fencing I'm half way through, to rabbit proof the a new area....I've bribed my mother and she's watching the cherubs so I can just get it finished.....If I ever have to dig another trench, I'm jumping in it and covering myself over...... ::) On the up side I will get to play with my new tool!! A staple gun!! And a huge hammer..  ;D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 16:49:06 »
Powerspade, might I suggest using toilet roll inners for the melons instead of pots. They don't like root disturbance when planted on. I thought I'd get away with it but the plants sulked for a month when I put them in the border

undercarriage plan

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 16:54:37 »
Would it be a mad idea to plant melons direct into the greenhouse border, DJ? My attempt last year, resulted in one melon, the size of a small apple... ::)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 17:38:07 »
I don't feel quite so embarrassed at my attempts with Ogen melons then, since out of 6 plants, I just got one tiny melon too, although it was delicious. I planted out too.

I am confused now, am I on topic or not?

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 18:43:14 »
I love melons - sigh.  :)

Thread discipline anyone?
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

undercarriage plan

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 18:48:56 »
No ta, I've eaten..... :-X

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 19:00:01 »
Well the thread topic is starting the new year, so is this how we are starting it  :-[ It's Richard's thread ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal