Author Topic: Break in! - Oh dear it's Christmas  (Read 2630 times)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Break in! - Oh dear it's Christmas
« on: November 13, 2005, 20:02:05 »
This week we have had a spate of break ins.  :( :( :(

Little has been taken, BUT ... clearly they (whoever they are) are looking for quick and easily disposable goods.  Easy cash for Christmas?

So  ...  if you have left any kind of mechanical equipment on the lottie ... take it home QUICK

How very sad this is.  In our area there is no shortage of work to be had, you just have to do the hours. 

Is a criminal record really preferable to hard graft?
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Break in! - Oh dear it's Christmas
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 20:12:02 »
We have had a spait of break ins on our site over the past couple of weeks.  They have only taken hand tools and because I only have slabs where my shed will one day be, I have escaped.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 23:07:02 »
shame to hear that.

my shed should be ok, is a bit out of the way and near houses, also alarmed. Has some expensive stuff in though.

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 07:30:39 »
Not allowed a shed....lots of nettles have hidden and protected my bits so far...Sorry to hear about the thefts >:(

Meg

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 09:25:01 »
It's a shame and even more so we all have to face it nearly is a fact of life that it will happen. We blamed a bunch of kids but some one actually walked with a plum tree that had just been planted. Don't think that was a young person. My shed (ha ha) has no door so any one can take what they like. Needless to say I have nothing anyone would want.
Marigold

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 01:57:07 »
Its the sad way of the world. I used to be able to leave my spade on my plot where I had finished digging, right in the middle of my plott and come down either the next day or lets say a few days later and it would still be in exactly the same place. I would not dare to do that now someone would pinch it!

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 08:55:19 »
I now firmly believe that someone has been nicking stuff to start up their own plot.  Various tools form our shed have gone.  Just rubbish stuff like boot sale gear(won't buy those again - they may have come from someone elses plot) and pound stuff rubbish.  They even nicked a £1 shop box of nails (open) and a plastic filing drawer thingy.  Also with my next door neighbour's cloches and seeds going walkies I am convinced it must be for that.  The cloches are so distinctive that they would be spotted on our site and returned.
Get with the beat Baggy

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 01:21:59 »
we can beat that... someone stole our pooh!
honest, someone actually pinched about three barrow loads from our manure pile (and they left the covers off ) but what really upset me was that they trampled the brassica patch on their way out!
actually baggy, we're not too far from you (abbey wood) so maybe stupidity amoung thieves is a local condition!
Tara xx

Diane177432

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 10:02:07 »
Sorry to hear about your break-in! We want to put our shed on our allotment and that's one of my biggest fears, going down there and finding it broken into. What is the World coming too...! I mean, I've done boot sales, and everyone wants something for nothing so its not like alot of money will be made from these things!

Diane
x

keef

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 13:15:58 »
We are allowed sheds but im sure they'd get broken into, if only for somewhere for the local chavs to smoke spliffs.

So i've got an old metal electrical cabinet, about the size of an upright fridge-freezer, laid on its back with a bl**dy great big chain around it. Got the cabinet from an old Sainsbury's that was closing down, it was used to house a PC and printer in the plant (machine) room, so it did'nt take long to strip out.

It's hard to spot in the bushes cause its low down, and i'm sure if we were not allowed sheds it could get away with this. You could even dig a hold and bury it up to its lid I suppose.
Straight outt'a compton - West Berkshire.

Please excuse my spelling, i am an engineer

Motherwoman

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 17:24:26 »
It doesn't have to be Christmas for the thieves to be about,someone stole my pumpkin plant...yes the plant......when it was about 8ft long complete with 2 half-grown pumpkins.My 6 year old was somewhat upset,how mean can some people be? Luckily one of my plot neighbours gave us one of his when it was ripe and saved the day.
My idea of a good time is a new seed catalogue to read.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 12:27:11 »
We had unwelcome visitors at two minutes past nine on Wednesday evening.

At least six sheds broken into by prising off the hasps but nothing has been reported stolen as yet.

Why so confident about the time?...well when they broke in one shed they dislodged a clock which consequently fell and broke thereby fixing the time of the crime to the second

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 14:06:37 »
They came back for a second visit!! :(

Luckily we had taken ALL our belongings home and left off the lock.  But others were hit again. >:(

Still the power tools were the favourite.  They looked in our shed cos the barrow had been moved away from the door.

But the cupboard was bare ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2005, 18:45:50 »
Your reports are truly depressing.
I feel fortunate that, after 28 yrs., I haven't experienced any problems.
In past posts & on other sites, deplorable acts like these, take some understanding.
All I can say is keep going. Nihil carburundum & all that.

Keep bright if you can - please?

Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal