Author Topic: Gladiolus Callianthus  (Read 2129 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Gladiolus Callianthus
« on: September 11, 2005, 14:57:24 »
I recieved five free bulbs with a gardening magazine earlier this year and whilst they have all sprouted plenty of leaves there have been no flowers.  The bulbs were quite small, about the size of dwarf Daffodils.  I've never grown Glads before so I wondered if anyone else had any success with their free gift or am I being too impatient?

G xx   
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Marianne

• Hectare
Re: Gladiolus Callianthus
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 17:50:35 »
Hi Georgie,

Earlier, there was a thread about gladioli where other people said they had had no success flowering them this year.  I myself added that my daughter has some of these flowers that always used to flower BUT this year. 

So is it something in the air ?!  Maybe someone else can answer this ?!

:D ;D ;D ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 20:20:02 »
Hi Marianne.  I do hope so because with such a small garden I can ill afford passengers.     :(

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 00:23:06 »
If they are the ones I'm thinking of they have white star shaped flowers and normally don't start until now. they used to be called something else, acidanthera I think. They are also known as the ethiopean gladiolus I think.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 01:24:35 by jennym »

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 11:04:42 »
They are very late flowering, usually starting in early Spetember, they need a very long growing season.

Also, depending on where abouts in the country you are they're not reliably hardy.  Well worth growing though as the scent is amazing in the evenings.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 11:07:32 »
Same here, G! Have about 8 bulbs in a pot, loads of leaves and one beautiful flower, Deeds is so right, the scent is amazing. Have them, sorry, it, outside back door, the scent just wafts in. Lovely.  Lottie  ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 15:58:38 »
Thank you for all your replies.  I hadn't realised they are scented so that's a bonus.   ;D  Like Lottie, mine are in a pot near the back door so I'll keep my fingers crossed that they are just bit late (everything else is about 2-3 weeks late this year).  Should be okay on the frost front Deeds, I'm in London.

G xx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal