Author Topic: tomato and lentil Soup?  (Read 2262 times)

Vez1

• Half Acre
tomato and lentil Soup?
« on: August 29, 2005, 17:31:33 »
Does anyone have a recipe for tomato and lentil soup? i ahve a glut of tomatoes and thought this would be a nice way to use them.

organicartist

• Quarter Acre
Re: tomato and lentil Soup?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 13:17:59 »
As I see you haven't had any replies yet, you can have my simple recipe. Quantities are not given as tastes vary & some people like a lot of lentils while others like just a few, adjust to suit yourself. This is written in idiotproof format because I don't know how much cooking experience you have.

Notes - If you are in a hurry or like a very mild flavour, use canned lentils or split red lentils. Brown or Puy Lentils take longer, but give a stronger, earthier flavour - experiment to see which you like best.

Basic ingredients:

Lentils
Tomatoes - Fresh, Canned, Tomato puree, Passata - mix & match which you prefer. Oven Roasted toms add extra flavour, as do sundried tomatoes.
Onions
Garlic
Celery
Veg stock - fresh or granules - Kallo stock is good
Veg Oil

Optional extras:

Carrots
Potatoes
Parsnips
Coriander - Fresh leaves or freshly ground seeds
Smoked Paprika
Chilli
Fresh Parsley or basil
Summer or winter Savoury (Herb reputed to make pulses more easily digestible & less errr, windy)
Rosemary or Sage
Fresh black Pepper

Turkish Lentil soup - Once basic soup has cooked allow to cool slightly, then add lots of fresh mint, some yoghurt, fromage frais or single cream and a little chilli. Blend until reasonably smooth and serve with wedges of lemon. Unusual but delicious.

Method:

Finely chop onion, celery and garlic, setting celery and garlic aside. Heat small amount of oil in saucepan & add onion, after 5 min add celery and onion, fry until garlic aroma fills the room, don't allow garlic to burn. Add pureed or finely chopped tomatoes and any other veg (if using), and add stock and lentils. Remember that lentils absorb a lot of water during cooking, roughly a handful of dry lentils to 2 cups of water/stock should be ok, but check after soup has cooked for 15 min to see if more water is needed. Lentil soup tastes best if allowed to cook slowly over a moderate heat, but if you don't have the time split red lentil soup takes 20 - 30 min to cook, and brown / puy lentil takes about 45 - 55 min.

Hope this helps
Lisa

Vez1

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 13:22:31 »
Thanks for that. Was about to start just throwing things in a pan this gives me a little guidance.  ;D

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 13:57:29 »
Here is what I do, do not know exact quantities though as I make it up as I go along!  Have never made it with fresh toms though - but sure you can. Just lazy (and never had tomato plants at my disposal, will have next year!  :))

can of chopped toms (think they are 400g - so equiv number of fresh ones.)
1 mug of brown lentils
1 - 1 1/2 pint vegetable stock - put about 3/4 in to start with and add rest/ more water if needed.
1 onion
couple of carrots/ any other veg you have handy!
teaspoon of curry powder/ desert spoon of curry paste.
couple of bay leaves

fry onions and carrots, add all other ingrediants, cover and leave to simmer till lentils are soft. I sometimes then liquidise about a 1/3 and add back to the pan, but you do not have to - is nice chunky too

good luck  ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 14:03:17 by daisymay »

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 20:58:52 »
Mine's very similar...

onions & garlic - saute in olive oil
add lentils (any kind), give a bit of a stir
add tinned tomatoes/fresh tomatoes
add stock (good vegetable or chicken)
add tomato puree
simmer away

just before the end, add some cider/wine vinegar, worcestershire sauce, and oregano/mixed herbs to taste.

Freezes a treat.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 22:51:47 »
The only version I've cooked (and lovely it is too) is Marguerite Patten but she does advocate the use "of a lot of fat"  I think in the form of a piece of smoked ham but you can omit that ;D  It is a very old recipe that I'm using but hey what the heck - it's lovely  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal