Author Topic: Pruning & Identification of Bushes  (Read 2497 times)

ChrisN

• Hamburg English Pages
Pruning & Identification of Bushes
« on: June 11, 2005, 14:27:04 »
I'm trying to identify the bushes in the photographs I've just taken. I pruned two out of four of the red ones last year and they died very quickly.

http://www.hh-englishpages.de/Hpim6180white.jpg
http://www.hh-englishpages.de/Hpim6183red.jpg

As I only have two left I'm unsure how or when to cut it back. I hope to get some advice about white one as well.

I'm in Hamburg, Germany where the temps can reach minus 20°C in the Winter.

Your help would be much appreciated. Cheers.
Keen English gardener based in Germany.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Pruning & Identification of Bushes
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 23:53:22 »
First one looks like Deutzia, second like Wiegela, try Googling but I think you'll find that like most shrubs they just need shaping straight after they've flowered

ChrisN

• Hamburg English Pages
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 15:27:41 »
Thanks very much for the names, they were correct. I'm still rather wary about pruning them. In fact, I need to cut them down radically from almost tree size to bush size, as the amount of shade they are creating is causing problems. I believe I can only cut them back in July.

Do I have to keep to old or new wood? I've found differing opinions on Google. Having lost two already, I need to be sure. Has anyone recently done what I intend to do with positive results?

Thanks in andvance.

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 11:23:29 »
Both Deutzia and Weigela should be pruned in the summer after flowering.

They both bear their flowers on short lateral growths produced from last year's wood.

' Without regular pruning to encourage development of vigorous, young growths from close to ground level, many of the shrubs in this group tend to become densely twiggy, often top-heavy, and the quantity and quality of flower deteriorates. The removal of spent flowerheads also prevents shrubs from expending energy in seed-production.'

'...as plants mature, more drastic pruning may be required to encourage groth. After the third year, up to one fifth of the oldest stems may be cut back annually to within 5-8cms of the ground.'

Renovation - 'old, tangled or overgrown shrubs may sometimes be renovated by extensive pruning. Shrubs that respond well usually produce young growth from the base.... some shrubs do not tolerate drastic pruning... if in any doubt, stagger a programme of heavy pruning over a period of 2-3 years. Renovate deciduous shrubs after flowering, or when dormant' e.g.

a) Drastic Renovation - Cut out all weak and crossing stems and shorten main stems to 30-45cms above ground level, ensuring that a balanced framework is left. Apply a slow-release fertiliser at 120gms/sq m and mulch around the shrub to a depth of 5-10cm. Keep the shrub well watered throughout the summer. During the following season, a mass of shoots should grow from beneath the cuts on the main stems. Retain only 2-4 of the strongest on each stem to provide the new branch framework' (cut the excess off during the dormant season on deciduous shrubs). In the following spring some secondary growth may occur where the shoots have been cut - rub these out.

b) Staggered Renovation - prune (after flowering) half of the oldest stems to 5-8cm of the ground, & where possible cut back the remaining stems by about half to a new vigorous replacement shoot. Apply slow release fertiliser, water & mulch. The following year, repeat the process on the remaining old stems.... OR do this over 3 years, i.e. cut back one-third of oldest stems almost to ground level, each year.

(RHS Gardening Book)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 11:32:51 by Gadfium »

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2005, 00:38:47 »
Yes, that's what I thought, maybe the old memory isn't completely shot yet after all

ChrisN

• Hamburg English Pages
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 13:14:27 »
I'd like to thank you once again for your advice. The bushes in question have been radically cut back and have survived. Cheers!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 22:15:09 »
You are MTW

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 23:53:40 »