Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Edible Plants / Re: peas not germinating
« Last post by JanG on Today at 06:50:44 »
That’s very odd, Timy Clanger. Your mice are very selective!
Were they sown at the same time? I’ve found with broad beans that I have success with direct sowing when the sowings are later. Presumably more available elsewhere by then.
« Last post by Tiny Clanger on Yesterday at 10:02:17 »
I've successfully sown direct for years sowing Onward, Hurst, Blau Schoke and Sugar snap. However, I've Never had more than 4 germinate from full packets of Alderman or Telephone. It was Alderman this year. 4 growing. I think I'll have them up and get some cabbage in 😖
The Shed / Re: Sad News
« Last post by woodypecks on May 23, 2024, 10:43:20 »
So sorry for your loss Louise . Thinking of you  .🕊️🌿
« Last post by JanG on May 22, 2024, 06:56:36 »
I’ve always had little or no germination from sowing pea seeds directly into the ground. I’d be fairly certain it’s small rodents.
It’s far more reliable to sow them either in modules or in lengths of guttering. Even then I would suspend them somehow from the roof of the greenhouse or sow them indoors to prevent mice reaching them.
« Last post by cambourne7 on May 21, 2024, 21:50:55 »
thanks guys its appreciated :)
Trying to keep going but its hard.
« Last post by Simon05 on May 21, 2024, 17:02:19 »
Thanks for the reply not tried that method but it's the way to go with all the rain
« Last post by Tee Gee on May 21, 2024, 15:19:27 »
Have you ever tried this method ( as shown in week 16) https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/P/Peas/Peas.htm

Over the last few years we have been getting much higher rainfall around the time we would be sowing pea seeds at least this method avoids this happening.
Edible Plants / peas not germinating
« Last post by Simon05 on May 21, 2024, 11:50:57 »
Hi all,

I have been having trouble with my peas the last 2 couple of years, either they rot in the soil or only a few germinate outside, yet if I sow the same seed in a border in the greenhouse I get very good germination and lots of peas.  The only difference I have done the last 2 years is not scatter lime of the top once covered up. I have scraped away the soil and no peas at all in some cases.

any ideas? I understand the rotting is down to too wet soil. But no peas? could it be mice,birds, squirrels?
« Last post by Obelixx on May 21, 2024, 10:38:34 »
Please accept my condolences for the loss of your husband and my best wishes to you and your family.
« Last post by Palustris on May 21, 2024, 08:00:32 »
I am so sorry to hear this news.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal