Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Pests & Diseases / Re: Red lines inside leeks
« Last post by Paulh on Today at 21:13:23 »
Alium leaf miner. Where the grubs eat the leek, a red stain appears. If you see little black grains, that's the pupating grubs. If you search on here, you'll find various posts from about 5 years ago. It seems to be less of a problem now, perhaps because the advice is to put barrier netting on the crops.
Allotment Movement / Re: Deposits at allotment sites
« Last post by lezelle on Today at 14:35:30 »
Hi Ya, we are experiencing similar problems on our site. You don't have lay a deposit or anything. The onus is usually on the person vacating the plot. The one next to me was given up 4 months ago and though the council have people interested in taking a plot on the weed problem is horrendous. I can see why some people have looked at it but so far no takers. I can't blame them as it's a mess and is affecting me as with the weather problems they weeds are seeding and flowering readily all over and growing huge. They could give new clients a 6 months free period to get it round. On the site there is strawberries, comfry, that is a big pain in the backside, aparagus, and I have witnessed people helping themselves, apple and plum trees, they have been there 20 years I noe, also red and white grapes. 2 compost bins full. The sheds have been removed do no sheds. I don't understand but the council seem to have their hands tied somewhat in order to carry on. It's not the only plot as further up the site there are more plots the same. I think people take them on then find they need time and hard graft. I was always under the impression that who gave them up would be liable to leaving them in a stable condition. Still I have my plot and it keeps me active and happy. Take care all.
Pests & Diseases / Red lines inside leeks
« Last post by lezelle on Today at 14:23:18 »
I picked the last of my leeks today and when stripping the outer skins noticed red lines running down the length of the stem. I have seen it before but can't find out what it is doing it. Can anyone help or advise me please.
Allotment Movement / Deposits at allotment sites
« Last post by Paulh on Today at 12:22:48 »
New plotholders have to pay a deposit on our council sites which is returned when they give up the plot if the plot is left in good order. It is currently £25 which does not cover the council's costs by a long way in most cases.

What amount do other sites charge? What might be reasonable - the council is suggesting £150 or even £250. This would affect new plotholders only, so it may be more a question of whether anyone would be put off and there is a small waiting list currently.

Thanks
Edible Plants / Re: Seed Saving Circle 2024
« Last post by JanG on May 16, 2024, 22:06:27 »
I'm delighted that lso many of last year's participants are keen to join again. It would be great if Galina and Ruud could find a way of also participating but in the meantime it's excellent news that we have a good viable circle of at least five!

Congratulations on doubling your allotment holding, Juliev, and good luck with your sulky seedlings, Markfield Rover. Hopefully there will be a big move forward now that things have at last got somewhat warmer and brighter.

Just today I planted out in my polytunnel several varieties of tomato from last year's Circle. I've just done a count and found that we had 25 varieties in last year's exchange! I've sown many of them but not quite all. I'm hoping to squeeze as many as possible into my polytunnel without creating too much of a chaotic jungle. I'm also immersed in bean seed sowing and trying to grow as many of the 30 varieties of French beans possible. All very exciting! I look forward to hearing from any of you as to how you're dealing with so many rich possibilities!

I'm confident we'll have another excellent exchange and look forward to hearing how last year's contributions are doing and how things are looking for this year's seed collecting.
« Last post by juliev on May 16, 2024, 10:01:08 »
Count me in!

I've taken on another plot at the allotment as I had too many things to grow! I'm not sure another round of Seed Circle will help... I might need a field in a few years time  :toothy10:

I can't wait to see how the season progresses. Happy growing everyone!
« Last post by garrett on May 15, 2024, 21:30:28 »
I'll be joining in again. I have some new cherry tomatoes, beans, sweet pepper and some flowers if they come true again this year.

I'll update later with variety names and give growing updates throughout the season.
« Last post by Vetivert on May 15, 2024, 15:27:01 »
Hi everyone!

The sun is shining and the beans are sprouting - count me in! :sunny:
« Last post by markfield rover on May 15, 2024, 08:32:19 »
I am going into the greenhouse to read the riot act to all my sulking seedlings  , this year as Terry-Thomas would say are a “Right Shower” so I am tentatively throwing my hat into the circle.
Edible Plants / Re: Black Bamboo - currently flowering and dying worldwide
« Last post by JanG on May 14, 2024, 07:08:19 »
Thanks for this interesting and useful information, Vinlander. I haven’t quite understood the full implications. You’re saying that the whole plant will die, including roots? So your method for removing roots is simply to clear the ground ready for planting something else?

I believe you’re also saying that all Phyllostachys nigra will flower, whatever their age. A fascinating phenomenon if so, weird as you say. I shall inspect mine with interest.

Presumably the flowering and seed-setting will take some weeks or months. I’m not too keen on an explosion of rats and I’m wondering whether it’s possible to keep removing any flowers and whether that would keep the plant alive indefinitely. No mean task; mine is well above my height.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal