Author Topic: Onion protection???  (Read 1426 times)

baggy bird

Onion protection???
« on: June 02, 2005, 17:48:54 »
Hi there,

Quick question from a newbie! I got the keys to my plot (so to speak) in April this year, and so I was a little late sowing my onion sets. Miracle of miracles, they are coming up a treat, however, I was wondering whether I need to protect them with anything against the dreaded onion fly. I'm sure I've seem some somewhere protected with pop bottles as cloches. Is this necessary? What do you reckon? All suggestions gratefully received.
Ta.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Onion protection???
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 18:40:16 »
NO!

'Coming up'??
Like when did they go in?

See elsewhere for thoughts on late planted sets. You might only get 'green' onions?

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 10:23:35 »
I protected some of mine with pop bottle cloches when i first put them in. Mind you, that was in March and was designed to protect them against the weather and from being pulled out by the birds. Didn't have enough bottles to cover every single onion and those left uncovered now look no different from those that were! You could use something like enviromesh to cover them if onion fly is a problem or use carrots/marigolds etc as a companion plant?
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Aidy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 15:03:05 »
I personally do as Mr Sprout has suggested, companion planting with my carrots, I have lost a few over the years but nowt to write home about, there are a few who use fleece tunnels but I feel if any fly get in all hell will break lose. I avoid chemicals trying to stay organic.
Regards

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal