Author Topic: Sick looking plant......help!!!!!  (Read 6443 times)

Bambi.1

• Acre
Sick looking plant......help!!!!!
« on: May 31, 2005, 13:31:59 »
My plant has looked like this since last year  :'( large very yellow leaves,anyone have any idea please what the problem is  ??? please.
l haven't a clue what it's called either  :-[ LOL!

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Re: Sick looking plant......help!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 13:57:00 »
I would try repotting it first bambi into a much bigger pot and  then see if it improves, or maybe you could pop it into your garden if youve got a space?

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 14:04:41 »

Hi Honeybee,

I think there's still plenty of room in the pot,as l did get it out of the plant pot to check to see if there was a bug or something messing around in the pot.
l'm wondering if it needs a certain type of feed,but not sure which  ::) have tried the bog standard sort.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 14:15:35 »
Looks like a touch of the sun, I had a palm and although under the apple tree in shade the sun in late afternoon got it.
You could try sequestion its a tonic normaly for rhod's it may help or feed and tonic plant food contains seaweed Focus do there own brand should think B+Q do theres. It is good a quick fix. May not bring the leaves back but the new leaves should be ok.
Water in evenings out of the sun and mist worth a go.
The only other thing is vine weevil the white grub eating the roots.

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 18:21:14 »

I have re-potted it Honeybee  ;D as l had a bigger pot empty just in case  ;)

Thanks for the advice on the feeding teresa,l don't think it's the sun as it's behind some Conifers which are very high,also has a type of Xmas tree mixed into them ans always in shade in that area.
When l re-potted it there were no bugs on the roots,thank goodness,so l hope it's just the feed it needs.

Thank you both  :-*

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2005, 22:05:52 »
How did the roots look Bambi, were they a bit compacted or did you think they were ok?

Just wondering so that i can rack my brains in case the re-potting doesnt work and then we can work out plan B...lol  :)

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2005, 22:16:38 »

There was plenty of room in the pot Honeybee,just thought it looked better in a larger pot,as the leaves are rather large and looked better cosmetically  ;) ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 22:32:35 »
It's a Sago Palm Cycas Revoluta ;D as Honeybee said it would give you a clue by checking the roots as over watering the roots will have rotted them, they should look creamy/white. I copied this from a link I will give you at the end, well worth a read, don't give up on it, as all is not lost. ;)

OLD LEAVES MAY TURN YELLOW from over watering or too much fertilizer.   

NEW LEAVES MAY TURN YELLOW from excess fertilizer or poor soil conditions. 

Note: Once leaves turn yellow or brown, they should be removed from the plant. 

http://www.rhapisgardens.com/sagos/

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 22:56:15 »

Wow!!!! Roy that's so interesting l printed out the whole ten pages  :o :o l had to laugh where it says it's easy to grow,l blew that theory then LOL!!!!
I think from reading it l have been over watering it  :'( :'( and when l have cut the yellow leaves off l shall be  :'( :'( it's going to look a little lost in it's big pot  :(

Thanks Roy  ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 23:19:18 »
;D At this time of year the leaves will grow back quite soon but remember to place it where you want to keep it until the new leaves have hardened off, they don't like being moved about ;D

Here's mine with a new flush of leaves.

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 23:32:45 »

It looks lovely Roy,l've always loved palms and what l call my spikey plants LOL!!!! (Cordalines)soz if spelling wrong  ::)you can see some in my front garden in the pets thread,under Collies.........mine is the Rough one LOL!

I hope my Sago doesn't look bald for the rest of the summer  :o :'(

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2005, 09:30:27 »

It looks lovely Roy,l've always loved palms and what l call my spikey plants LOL!!!! (Cordalines)soz if spelling wrong  ::)you can see some in my front garden in the pets thread,under Collies.........mine is the Rough one LOL!

I hope my Sago doesn't look bald for the rest of the summer  :o :'(

Just looked at your spiky plants, they are gorgeous 8) and the doggie, he's a hansom dude ;D the spikys look more like Yucca aloifolia to me but could be wrong ::) I'd love one if only I had the room :-\ ;D

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2005, 13:10:48 »

I move my plants around so much that you could be right on the Yucca aloifolia,l bought a packet of Palm seeds in Spain years ago,so maybe they could be from that pack,but also l have bought Cordalines and put them in the back garden because of getting too big for the pots,l will put a pic up later........they are well over 7 feet  :o

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2005, 14:13:59 »
:) Hi, I was given a plant that looks the same, to see if I could revive it LOL :) Anyway re potted, although not pot bound I wanted to give it as much help as poss  ::) I used a cocoanut based compost (this I don't personally like), but the plant did  ;D  I also put it in a position where it got no direct sunlight but was bright & light. It came back to life :D :D & is now a very healthy plant back home & living out of direct sun. Hope that helps  :) Good luck  :)
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 12:46:44 »
You must be so pleased it survived MF,do you water it around the bottom of the cone or over the cone ?

These are my larger Spikey plants in the back garden Roy,they are bigger than the ones in the front garden LOL!

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2005, 21:03:23 »
;D Those are nice ;D I believe Cordyline australis (cabbage palm, Torbay palm) although not a palm ::) ;D and notice your lovely dog is in on the act again ;D I have a 10ft approx Cordy that has a 6ft approx pup growing from the side of its Mama, the Mama has a multi head and is just flowering.

I also have a Trachycarpus fortunei palmtree about to flower ;D I'll try and get a piccy of it when it does 8)

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 07:46:06 »
 :) Love your spikey plants Bambi  :) I just dribbled water around the cone  :) The coir compost is very free draining  :) & although I don't like it much it does seem to promote good root growth  ???  :)
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 13:24:07 »

It sounds to me that l might have been overwatering MF,hence the yellow leaves,which have been cut off now  :'(and l was watering over the cone,been doing everything wrong  ::) ::)thanks for the reply.

Roy,l've had two of the Spikey plants flower so far,but not seen any pups ( l do find calling them pups funny,l feel we are talking doggies LOL!) Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2005, 21:41:48 »
OK so this is a Chilean Wine Palm and the leaf has been funny for a while and the dead bit is moving up since I have been giving it LOADS of water. But what is it??? It came from seed and popped out after about 5 months which is GREAT! and moved into kitchen and is now a month or 2 old...

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2005, 22:33:34 »
 :( I dunno, but Kew have had one from seed for a 159 years and it is the largest Jubaea chilensis ever to be grown indoors, I have known palm seeds to rot with loads of water, in their home town they are generally on the dry side and search deep for water.

A beautiful palm nevertheless ;)

http://www.rbgkew.org.uk/plants/palms/kew_chileanwine.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal