Author Topic: Strawberries  (Read 1420 times)

Jane the Novice

• Half Acre
Strawberries
« on: May 29, 2005, 23:27:15 »
This may seem like basic stuff but I am in need of advice as I haven't grown strawberries before. Just for a try I planted out 4 different varieties. Some early some mid and some late croppers. I realise this is a little early but my first fruits are ripening now bu I think 2 or perhaps 3 of the plants have sent out runners. I'm not quite sure what to do with them. I understand that now the runners are set that all the energy the plant takes in will be spent on the runners instead of the fruit. Will this in any way spoil the taste of the fruit and shound I anchor the runners and grow more plants from them or should I chop them off and expect a larger crop of fruit? Thankyou for your help

Jane ( obviously a novice)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 18:52:39 »
I think when you first start gardening you worry about everything so dont worry strawberries are great plants. As long as they dont dry out and you can give them a mulch of straw keeps fruits clean and protects the roots from the sun it works well.
If you want to while fruiting a feed of tomato fert once a week to give them a boost will help dont worry about the runners just feed and water them to make up and they wont let you down.
When your runners have rooted in the autumn cut them off and replant them. Dont forget to cover them with either curtain net or garden netting to stop the birds getting them before you do.
Then lookforward to a great summer home grown fruit tastes soooo good.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal