Author Topic: veg in tubs  (Read 2702 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
veg in tubs
« on: May 28, 2005, 15:30:13 »
I've got 3 tubs each planted up with different veg., toms, sweetcorn and pots. Can I use the same compost next year...I'll empty a fresh gro bag to it...if I change the veg around?
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Re: veg in tubs
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 17:39:30 »
Spent compost is quite useful for carrots - which like a stone-free, non-manured soil.  :)  So you could save your used compost for that. 

For veggies in tubs I usually use fresh.  I then save the spent compost for carrots, or knock it out onto a border I have that needs topping up.

Perhaps if you kept the old compost and fed vigorously you could get away with it?  Sure the others will have opinions on this. 

We get 3 big bags of compost from a DIY chain for £10 a go.  IMO that's a good price and would you spend more on liquid fertiliser trying to do without I wonder?
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 17:45:02 »
Thanks Charlotte. I was a bit concerned about diseases as well. I'd hate to get a build up of anything so thought if I rotate the veg, then throw it away ...on the compost or use as a mulch every 3rd year.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 18:23:04 »
Hi Val.  I agree with Charlotte, you can't really get away with re-using compost but it's handy as a mulch around your borders. 

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 18:41:02 »
Thats what i do, empty the old compost onto the borders and use fresh for the pots  :)

I will be interested to hear updates from you Val as i am making my first attempt at sweetcorn and sprouts this year and due to lack of space ive put them into large pots.
If it doesnt work out, i dont mind, at least ive tried  :)
Good luck with your project.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 08:39:22 »
Thats why I've done it in tubs...no garden space, this is a first with the sweetcorn and pots...in the tubs..but sweetcorn has a really good flavour fresh, apparently you can stroll down the garden to pick it but run back and have the water already on...I'll post a pic later, they are very small...the sweetcorn at the moment but hopefully they'll pick up.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 11:19:35 »
potatoes and tomatoes are in the same rotation group - you may be able to reuse that compost for the sweetcorn and carrots as has been suggested, but get fresh for the nightshades ;)
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 14:16:34 »
Thanks Svea...so I can plant next years carrotts into this years sweetcorn?    Mind you by the time I've got the pots out of the tub, there won't be much compost left, so I'll change the 2 tubs. can I   plant cabbages in the winter into the sweetcorn compost?...or even the toms compost?

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 14:48:32 »
i think so long as you rotate the crops in their respective rotation groups, and add some fresh stuff to replanish soil fertility, i don't see why not.
says she, non-tub grower. take this as a disclaimer ;D
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 09:23:58 »
Those were my thoughts Svea...on GW...they mentioned gardening in pots but that was all it was a mention. mind you I know Monty would say change it all, they aren't on a tight budget.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 11:26:19 »
My father in law was always on a tight budget and he used to sterilise soil by putting it in a hot oven  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 14:45:16 »
 ;D There's too much of it for that Wardy, but thanks for the tip.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 18:51:39 »
I used to sterilise soil with Jeye's fluid. Put a few drops on, cover it, and leave for six weeks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal