Author Topic: Aubergines?  (Read 5065 times)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
Aubergines?
« on: May 28, 2005, 01:29:09 »
 I grew some on the veggie patch last year, but growing them in the greenhouse this time around. They have gone mad growing the last two days.  Any specific care or should i let them get on with it? Thanks in advance for any replies, Sarah.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Aubergines?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 06:43:43 »
Yes - but watch out for whitefly etc like a hawk! Rub it out as soon as you see it.

And give support - they get quite heavy.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 22:38:29 »
Mine are incredibly slow this year, but are strong plants.  I shall have to go to the greenhouse and give them a stiff talking to!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 11:40:09 »
I'm growing my first aubergine ever.  It's looking good so fingers crossed  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 09:41:53 »
I'm growing one for the first time as well. It's now 2' high and has a teeny fruit on already.  I think it's a Moneymaker. Anyone any idea how tall they get? It's already having to be supported!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 14:45:18 »
My book says pinch out the top to get it to bush out -you get more fruit that way. Last years got more wide than high.

Jeremy

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 16:50:58 »
I know they say that, but last year's crop averaged 20-33 per plant, depending upon variety. Can't ask for much better than that? Other books say allow only 5 fruit per plant.

I have never pinched out aubs or peppers.

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 21:46:48 »
Tim, what variety were you growing that was so heavy cropping? Was it one of the small fruited variety or "regular" sized?

D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 06:56:00 »
Smallish, Diana - I like 'dense' meat rather than 'pappy'. Especially when making pickle.

Orient Express, Macchiaw, Slim Jim. Mohican were also prolific. Here are the middle two.

Diana

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 09:23:23 »
Thanks for that Tim.

D
Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 10:26:08 »
I've got 3 okay aubergine plants which are potted up into big 'final' pots, and they are starting to bush up slowly, but encouragingly.

The fourth plant had a close call with a snail: four weeks ago 60% of the stem circumference was nibbled down to the core. But it's still growing, with a tiny 'core' of stem about 1" above ground level, which widens out enormously above.

Advice please, should I:

a) Pot it up with this damaged stem portion below ground ?
b) Pot it up at the same level, and stake carefully?
c) Put it outside (North Northumberland) on what basis?
d) Anything else?

???

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 05:46:39 »
Who, me? Haven't a clue. I would tend to bin it - it could well pick up a disease. Or at least fail you after much tlc?

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 23:52:22 »
Well, on the basis that they belong to the same family as Tomatoes & Spuds I'd pot it with the damage buried, Solanaceae usually root from the stem

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2005, 13:03:11 »
Stick it in your "sick bay" if you have one and see what happens.

My aubs are huge, and just about to flower.  I grow them in our leanto.  Unfortunately I noticed this morning that we have a bit of an aphid problem!  :(  I squashed as many as poss.  Typical tho, things were going just a little bit too well!!
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

mrb16le

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 17:19:57 »
Ive grown aubergines this year and although i get great bushy plants, the flowers open and then drop completely off the main branch after a few days..... any ideas :S

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 18:18:12 »
Don't look so SAD!!

An idea?? Aubs may be the same as toms?

Veggie Mad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 17:32:26 »
I always grow mine in the green house, you need to re-pot them (8-10inch pot) or put them in a grow bag (3 plants per bag).  Keep them well watered (just like tomatoes), and once the fruit develops feed them with tomato feed. 
Treat them like you would treat you tomatoes, and you should be fine. :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 08:55:32 »
I know that growbag makers persuade you that you can plant 3 whatever to a bag. I know that many people do, & are happy. But have they ever done it another way?
If I were to recommend a method, I would say no more than 2 per bag. Even with the longer & much deeper Arthur Bowers 'Planters', I don't like to exceed that.

Because why? Because:
1. Plants like air.
2. Ideally, foliage should not overlap - photosynthesis etc.
3. Even with 2 aubergines per bag, it becomes very difficult to tend (including spraying) & harvest - especially those with vicious thorns.
4. Watering becomes much more critical.

Yes - cordon toms, being single stemmed, can do quite well at 3 to a bag, but I'll stick to 2. Growing in 1/2 bags last year, one was able to space them even more widely than is possible in bags.

The aubs below are only small, but they are already close enough.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2005, 18:37:30 »
Nice thick Aubs Tim.  Mine are still on the small side, although I did notice the 'long green' have buds now.  Due to complete lack of space, some have ended up in big pots on the deck in the garden, a south facing sun trap for most of the day.  Chillies and a melon plant too!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 19:00:44 »
They'll cope! But how the hell do you??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal