Author Topic: happy happy diggers in the hail  (Read 2028 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
happy happy diggers in the hail
« on: February 10, 2004, 14:03:56 »
Ah what a happy Saturday I had. Hubby was working in the morning, the sun was shining, so there was only one possible place for me to go...

I spent an hour pottering about, exclaimations of joy popping regularly from my vocal chords as I saw everything growing and waking up for spring, the spring bulbs flowering, etc. As I got cold, I tidied up the shed, well really just moved things about (why does everything that goes in there just get dumped by the door?) Then I finally did what I intended to do - sow the lobelia and sweet peas (I had hardly any seeds left, so after vowing not to buy anymore seeds this year, I think I'm gonna have to  ::) ). One garlic bulb went in around the edges of my veg plot where I intend to put the carrots and the other bulb went in a large pot (all the cloves just about fit in it) for when I decide where on earth (or rather, in earth) to put it!

I did a bit more tidying of last summer's perennials that have finally died back (I can't bear to cut them down when they still look nice!) Then hubby came home, greeted by my beaming face, I was exquisitly happy to have mud in my nails and on my nose and a whole load of new lives growing in the compost.

After lunch, I dragged him outside again to help me pot up my olive tree - half way through, it started hailing, but it didn't deter me from finishing (I was so engrossed in mixing compost and gravel, I didn't even notice it to begin with). I thought we'd better stop there, though, so I still have to prune the apple tree and plant more spring bulbs that I forgot about.

ah big sign of happiness and joy!

So how is your garden/lottie growing?
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »
gone to pot :D

eileen

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: happy happy diggers in the hail
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 14:31:42 »
Now you're just trying to make us all green with envy aren't you?  ::) Can't get out into the garden as everything is still frozen.  :'( :'( Why does spring take longer to arrive in Scotland I wonder? Just wait though until I get 'down and dirty' you'll never hear the end of it!!!  ;D ;D ;D

EILEEN.

Life is like nectar sweet but sometimes sticky.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 14:56:31 »
Fab day Aquilegia!  Had a roam about my garden this morning.  Finally have crocus and snowdrops in flower, daffs of all shapes and sizes are just begining to burst, primroses smiling up at me and all of my perennials pushing up through the ground!  Hope the slugs leave my delphiniums alone!  And my Chinese foxgloves, which are supposed to be tender, came through the snow without a scratch!  Lost one echium pinnatta, but still have 8 to tower above the house so don't mind, I don't look on it as loosing a plant, more of an opportunity to plant something new  ;D  Have lettuce and kohl rabi poking through in the greenhouse and all my tender south american and african plants have over wintered happily in there.  Ain't life grand!  ;D

Tenuse

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 20:34:42 »
We finally got up to the allotment on Sunday, in a bizarre sun/wind/hail combination, and planted our "fruity maidens" that had been sleeping in the potato patch!

Can't wait - digging time soon for other fruity bushes :-)

Ten x
Young, dumb and full of come hither looks.

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 22:12:32 »
hooray! sounds fab!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal