Author Topic: any ideas why my pear tree friuts all drop?  (Read 1885 times)

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
any ideas why my pear tree friuts all drop?
« on: May 22, 2005, 22:31:58 »
Hi there,
Anybody know why my pear tree's fruit all drop. It had plenty flowers early April. Only just found out it all drop. Not a single one on the tree.I planted it in a big clay pot two year ago. It only three year old. But there no fruit last either! :( Will I ever get any fruit from my pear tree ???please help?
Yuet

« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 23:10:57 by yuetlee »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: any ideas why my pear tree friuts all drop?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 22:39:06 »
It may simply not be strong enough to produce fruit yet, or the pot may be too small, or the compost too poor or too dry. It took three years for my fruit to start producing (the first real crop was last year) and there's still several trees which have produced nothing. If they don't produce this year or next I'm going to root them out and replace them.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 23:33:48 »
I would think the pot dried out causing all the fruits to shed.  Is it not possible to get the pear in the ground Yuet?  What sort of compost is in the pot?  Maybe it needs 'beefing' up with something more moisture retentive.  Such a shame to loose all the fruits, pears are my fave hard fruit, which reminds me, must check mine tomorrow to see if I have any.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 23:45:21 »
Yay, lots of little fruitlets on mine!  ;D

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2005, 23:15:14 »
do you yjink this pot is not big enough? I do thinking shall I move it to my allotment. Let it grow on the ground!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2005, 23:17:46 »
No Yuet, I wouldn't think that pot was big enough for a pear tree, unless it is one that has been grafted onto very very small rootstock.  If you are allowed trees on the allotment, then I would get it in the ground and let it grow to it's full potential.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal