Author Topic: cucumbers flowering too early?  (Read 27326 times)

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
cucumbers flowering too early?
« on: May 22, 2005, 21:38:20 »
Hi
My cucumbers are starting to flower already. I haven't even hardened them off or planted them outside yet. And some of them only have three or four leaves. Is this too early? I'm not convinced that the plant is strong enough to hold the fruit. Any advice?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: cucumbers flowering too early?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 08:10:11 »
No matter - I would take out the flowers until at least 6" tall. Some guides suggest no flowers (indoors) for at least 12", to get the plant well established.

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 08:25:19 »
I would say the plants are about 6 inches tall (maybe slightly bigger if I stretch them out). So I just nip the flowers off?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 23:40:42 »
If they aren't in the ground or huge pots yet, then I would nip out the flowers buds.  The poor plant is struggling so trying to produce seed to reproduce before it dies  :'(.  Once in situ, then it can flower and fruit to it's hearts content.  ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 23:46:10 »
Glad for the advice.  Have quite a few flowers on mine (never grown them before) it is a mini cucumber, just enough for one in each cucumber.
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 15:23:41 »
I've just lost my 7th and 8th cucumbers. I don't mean they have wandered off somewhere just given up the ghost and keeled over :'( :( Don't know where I'm going wrong. I've only got 4 left now. It seems that the Crystal lemons are more delicate than the others.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 17:35:47 »
My melons do that  :o.  Grow strongly for the first couple of weeks, then whithers and dies!  I don't think I will ever get to taste the fresh sweetness of home grown melons! :'(

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2005, 16:07:57 »
Ani,

I was told recently that a cause of neck rot (where the stem meets the soil) is watering the stem, so keep water away from stem - sinking the top of a plastic bottle alongside the plant would acheive this

Phil

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2005, 18:16:25 »
Well, what do you know.  Took a cuce tasty king to the lottie today to plant under my glass greenhouse roof/coldframe and as I dug his hole and plopped him in, there were 8 little cuces!  The biggest as long as my little finger!!  So, mulched with plenty of rotted manure, watered very well and spoken to politely!  All things being equal, could pick our first cuce of the year in a couple of weeks!

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2005, 13:01:54 »
Thanks for the info Phil!  My cucumber keeled over and died the other day and was wondering why (was still inside).  The stem near the soil seemed to have got thinner so reckon it must have been neck rot.  Least I'll know for the future.

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2005, 13:20:05 »
yes my cucumber plants are very sickly but holding on. I will pinch out all the flowers and plant them in the cold frame this week. Thanks for all the advice!

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2005, 16:22:29 »
Thanks philcooper, I shall do as you suggest with the ones I have left and keep my fingers crossed. Would it work by watering from the bottom instead?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 21:33:41 by ani »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2005, 16:44:04 »
While on cue - I've just had confirmation of the idea that you should take off the early flowers.

However, for the first time, I'm doing the first batch the other way. We shall see! The grandchildren have itchy feet!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/photo04/cu2905.jpg

Gillian

• Half Acre
    • mytinyplot.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2005, 17:30:55 »
Tim, my cucumbers are no where near as big as yours. Poor little lambs!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2005, 18:45:15 »
There's no hurry!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 18:54:07 »
Nice 'umbers Tim!  I reakon mine are about 2 weeks behind yours, altho I cannot provide the water they really need to get them romping.  Have sunk a open ended pop bottle directly next to them this year though, so I can give them a water when I am there - seemed sensible.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2005, 19:05:36 »
Remember mine are in the cold 'house.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005, 21:32:31 »
Can you plant umbers and courgettes in the FYManure heap? hope so as I have just done that with the remains of my pathetic attempt at growing them, they have been keeling over one by one in the plastic greenhouse, well watered (maybe too much?) so I thought what the Hell ::)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal