Author Topic: My ponds  (Read 6468 times)

maz

• Acre
My ponds
« on: May 22, 2005, 15:50:54 »
I thought as Im feeling a bit more positive about my backyard I would show you what it looks like.

This is the view from the house

Close up of the ponds and their planting

and these are some of my fish playing 'Sardines' !!!  ;D

I have been really busy out there for 2 days , rain and shine, due to lovely Dibber helping me so much and giving me a kick up the wotsit to get going!  :-*
A friend is someone who thinks you are a good egg,
even though you are slightly cracked.

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
Re: My ponds
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 16:00:21 »
Maz, honestly it looks just fantastic, it really does look wonderful.  You've done a great job  :
You must be so proud of your efforts.

Oh and Dibber,any friend of Maz's is a friend of mine  ;D

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 16:14:00 »
Well done, looks really good and you should be pleased with yourself.
Gardening is the great leveller.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 17:06:50 »
o it looks lovely maz!veeery nice! ;D i wish my bloomin fish would swim about-they are permanently hiding :(
wot did dibber do..and why were you feeling despondent?its gorgeous!
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 19:10:01 »
Lovely ponds Maz, they look really neat and professional. did you build them yourself - or have the work done for you?

Sigh! and you thought my pond looked good!! :)

Tricia

maz

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 21:44:51 »
Thanks everyone for your comments.  :-*

Firstly , yes I am pleased with my efforts. Its not quite what I would do given the chance to do it again but it pretty darn near.

Secondly tricia close up its not quite as professional as you may think. The stones wobble!  ::)  will they ever get fixed in? your guess is as good as mine. Plus I only have 1 pump so I move it across from one pond to the other, that's not very professional but its cheap and saves me asking hubby to get involved.  ;D  Your pond is fabulous! I can see how much work you have put into it and it was well worth the effort.

Thirdly I was despondant about it because I have always wanted a real garden and I hate having just a back yard. I know I have a go and do what I can but believe me its just not the same. I get frustrated at having not much to do out there.

Which brings me to my fourth point........ Dibber.  :-*  She has kindly sent me some plants because I cannot get to an aquatic plant nursery. You would think there would be somewhere in a large city but believe me without a car its so difficult to get to where they are.  ::)   I was beginning to neglect the ponds until my parcel of goodies arrived and it spurred me on to get out there and plant them up, straighten the uneven stones and generally start to appreciate what I have.  ;D

We have now gone 1 step further. Been to B&Q and ordered 'carpet stones' to really make a difference to the ground out there. Any seen them? Very French courtyard!'  ;D

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 21:51:03 »
Maz!!!! I didn't realise you had ponds like that!!!! I thought you just had that little bit of 'courtyard'.

They're gorgeous............I honestly had no idea :(

I must sort out a trip to Liverpool, just so I can come and have a nose ;D

maz

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 21:52:27 »
Bring yer own butties and pay at the door!  8) ;D

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 21:54:13 »
No problem, if I can see ponds and fish and sit by them for a while ;D

It's beautiful, Maz :)

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 21:54:59 »
maz your garden and ponds looks great glad the plants got there in one piece they look good to , nice u apreciate them so much it was my plesure ,
honneybee  looks like u have a new friend :)

maz

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 06:32:51 »
p.s All my ,or should I say 'our',  own work tricia.

* blows on fingers and rubs them on chest*   ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 07:59:09 »
;D You've made a brilliant job of that Maz ;D it looks like a quaint cottage courtyard, well done ;D

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 09:35:37 »
aahh...how nice of dibber! :-*

we've got a car now but i remember the days when we didn't -very difficult...still-sorted now and you've made a lovely job of it too!
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 15:46:37 »
kitty you no it nice to help peeps  out with plants specially when they are really gratefull for them like maz ,none of my family has any interest in gardens ponds or plants thats why i love coming on here talking to peeps with the same interest , i wish i lived near peeps i could give plants to i have so much bedding plants i dont no what to do with and 16 cardoons i have given some to neighbours but still have loads,

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 16:59:08 »
 ;D ;D ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2005, 09:35:32 »
Looks Fantastic Maz,

Those lillies look great, just keep me in mind if you ever come to splitting them - My pond is crying out for some after the ones I bought from B&Q last year just rotted away :)

Is that Parrots Feather as well I can see? I had some last year and the fish just loved chomping on it!

Very innovative idea with the pump, how often do you switch it?  Are the fish comets?

Tony
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 09:40:10 by Anthony »

maz

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2005, 11:12:26 »
Well you lot have certainly made me look at my little backyard in quite a different light.  :o

I think from now on I'll call it a 'courtyard' Pretentious? moi?   ::)  ;D

Tony I have 3 lillies in there. A large pink in one pond and an orange and a white in the other. This was it a couple of years ago. Ignore Hannah, she got in the way.  ;D

The white one flowers but the orange one just produces leaves. It was a real tiddler when it went in and has never earned its keep other than to shade the surface.

I have 1 hoooooge Koi and 1 goldfish. The ones you see there are their offspring. What a xgoldfish/koi called?  ???  and don't say Albert!  ::)  ;D

I switch the pump over every couple of days or so. The flex comes up from behind the two ponds in the gap between them so it takes me a couple of seconds that's all.

I don't want to disturb things at the mo but I will gladly send you a lily when I do split them. Is that done in Autumn? I cant remember.  ???

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 13:13:01 »
Thanks Maz,

I was only kidding :) I've been pointed in the direction of some places where I should be able to get hold of "cheaper" lillies on another topic so I'll have a look there first.  If I'm still struggling after that, then the offices where I work in Liverpool have a huge pond outside which is full of lillies - I'll perhaps sneak down in the middle of the night with my snorkle and "borrow" a few :)

shhhh! :-X

Tony

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 13:49:43 »
Maz !!!! Absolutely gorgeous !!  Well done :D ;D
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

maz

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 15:38:35 »
Thanks Marianne.  :-*

Tony I think I saw them in B&Q. You got a car? The 82c goes that way, and stops right outside.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal