Author Topic: Prep for next season?  (Read 1649 times)

cheddarpaul

• Quarter Acre
Prep for next season?
« on: May 23, 2005, 13:55:51 »
Hi all
As a newbie I need all the help I can get.  I already have some vegs down in my lottie, covering about 1/2 of it so far. About 1/3 is covered with heavy tarpaulin as I couldnt get around to cleaning up all of it after it was rotovated.
Now I need to know what should I be doing to prepare my lottie for planting veg in the autumn/winter?
As a family we go through pounds of spuds, swedes, cabages, you name it... so this is what I think I will concentrate on later in the year.
ATM everything is planted in beds - I will be planting some sweetcorn in a square tomorrow.
So come on help... what should I be thinking of now so when it comes to autumn and can plant and reap the rewards......
Ta

Cheddar, Somerset

Sprout

• Acre
Re: Prep for next season?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 15:12:01 »
A lot of garden centres are now selling young veg plants of various sorts so if it's too late to raise from seeds you could try something similar depending on what you can find locally. I bought some leek seedlings yesterday.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 15:33:01 »
Not that much you can plant in the autumn, garlic, broad beans and overwintering onion are some. Fruit is generally planted during the winter.

Jeremy

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 15:40:45 »
savoys, brussels sprouts and red cabbage.... kale, - all of these can be planted out now for the autumn, and a little later for the winter - depends on the variety.

I have already put in brussels seedlings, savoys.

I have at seedling stage red brussels, red cabbage.

I have kale germinating.

All planning for future seasons...

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 17:25:39 »
purple sprouting, savoy and spring cabbages could all be sown now for cropping next winter.  I think Beetroot can be sown now for autumn harvest (although not sure as don't like it or grow it).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal