Author Topic: wood chips  (Read 1803 times)

Justy

• Hectare
wood chips
« on: May 19, 2005, 21:10:58 »
I have several large bags of chipped/shredded wood that came from a load of trees and bushes that my parents had chopped down.  I was going to use them to earth up spuds and generally mulch around the plants but for some reason had an idea that they might not be any good because it was mainly laurel. 

Don't know why I thought they might not be any good but something niggling in back of brain.  Any thoughts? ???

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: wood chips
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 21:25:53 »
they'll absorb nitrogen from the soil for as long as it takes them to rot down. Use them on the flowerbed if you have one.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 21:37:23 »
I forgot to say that they have been in the black bags for almost a year and are more or less composted now.  If they are still no good as mulch will use them on lottie paths between beds as may keep the weeds down.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 22:43:57 »
That sounds a better idea.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 08:06:00 »
now got to find something else to earth up the spuds as the ground around is like concrete despite much digging.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2005, 11:09:29 »
Justy how about straw? Or if you are feeling flush and don't mind it being non organic those buy 3 for  £10 bags of compost. Will help improve the soil if you have nought else!  (I use straw on my paths, and at this time of the year take it all off to throw on the tatties, then replace with new for next year!)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2005, 20:49:10 »
I was thinking along the lines of the bags of compost route. I have to confess my level of organicness is to not directly spray the crops with any chemicals.  Do not go to extent of compost or seeds.  Probably should.... but hey ho.  Last year I bought 17 big bags of mushroom compost for £20 and used that to earth up. Worked a treat and the soil where they were is much better.  stupidly didn't keep the phone number though...  :-[  Will have to try and track it down. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal